Unusual for a Phoenix?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Phoenix Farms, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Phoenix Farms

Phoenix Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2012
    Southern Illinois
    Usually my Phoenix hens lay about bantam sized eggs even though they are medium sized birds. Today my oldest hen, who is about 1-2 years old, layed an egg that was very large. It was a perfect fit in the carton for x-large eggs. Is this normal? She has never layed one this size.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    My hens occasionally lay a supersize egg too. And once or twice a year I'll get a tiny little "fart" egg. It's normal.

3. Phoenix Farms

Aug 11, 2012
    Southern Illinois
    Okay thanks! I have noticed that Phoenix eggs are mostly yolk and little white. Could this one be normal looking but be a double yolker for a Phoenix?

4. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    May be a double, my chickens' huge eggs usually are. Sometimes I hear someone here got a triple yolk eggs! Now every time I get a super size egg I hope it's a triple yolkier, but no, only a double [​IMG]

5. Phoenix Farms

Aug 11, 2012
    Southern Illinois
    Wow a three yolker? That's a big egg. I have a question about one if my hens..

She always uses the same nest but today we rearranged the nests. She went to each nest until she found the same one and she layed her egg in it. Well it's been about three hours and she is still sitting in her egg and a fake egg. Every time a person or other hen tries to get in the nest she fuzzes up and makes a loud screeching/squeaking noise. She tries to peck and will not move. Has she gone broody?

6. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Sounds like it. But give her another day, at least, before giving her eggs to hatch. Just in case. Sometimes hens change their minds after sitting for a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by