Unusual gifts for the hard to buy for person

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by [email protected], Dec 10, 2009.

1. cndula@elp.rr.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    El Paso, Tx
    So what unusual gifts have you come up with this year for that hard to buy for person? I have no trouble buying for the grandkids and my adult daughters. My sons are a different story. My husband came up with the idea to go to our local well stocked liquor store and select a variety of beers for our sons. He put them into 12/case wine boxes. Some of the bottles were quite large. And called it the Twelve Beers of Christmas. I'm thinking they may request this gift from now on.

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I am trusting that your sons are not youngsters... [​IMG]

Great idea, though. People have so much STUFF. I love to get consumables as gifts. Love to give them, too. The wine shop or Harry & David are two favorites. As much as I ADORE a basket that a friend makes for me, I do not like those prepacked ones with Cheez Wiz & such...[​IMG]

3. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    That's a cool idea, 12 Beers of Christmas [​IMG]. I've given locally- produced honey, jams, cheeses (Dairy state [​IMG]), something unique from my area that would be tough to find for out-of-towners.
    And the last-resort gift for hard-to-buy-for folks? Giftcards.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    If they are a person that has "everything" (like our Grandparents), we used the money we normally would have spent on them to purchase gifts for the Salvation Army Angel Tree kids. We adopted a kid for each set of Grandparents. We'll find out if they like this later! [​IMG]

5. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    My in-laws aren't hard to shop for but they do have everything so I bought some pretty handkerchiefs (for the women) and transfered their intial on to it and embroidered them. We'll see how it goes over but they can't say I didn't put some effort into it:)

6. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    My "older boys" love to get magazine subscriptions to their favorite interest like handyman or cars etc, something they would not subscribe to on their own. Also, I always give tokens to their favorite car wash in town, its nice to buzz in once in a while and not have to do the scrubbing themselves. Even a certificate for a detailing on the car and an oil change has been well received. Good luck, it's so hard depending on the person you are trying to buy for.

*ETA What about Apple ITunes gift cards if they own Ipods (Costco has 50.00 worth cards for 46.00)
    One year we did GPS systems for them (around 100.00)
    Electric shavers

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  7. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    I am getting my parent's Vitamin D status checked as a gift! It costs more than I would normally spend, but I think it is important enough to merit the price tag. They really don't need more stuff and they don't pay as much attention to their health as I would like!

8. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    I usually get consumables for the hard to buy for types. This year for my brother and his kids we are getting them a crock pot, with a box of beans and stuffs with a book of recipes for everything in the box and then some.

I usually get a nice spice mix for my parents from http://www.thespicehouse.com/ I used to frequent the shop in Chicago and LOVE their spices... which reminds me, I'm out of ginger....

I have 12 little old ladies I buy Christmas for every year, and they already have everything so I make sure to get each of them a really nice ink pen, and a box of dutch chocolates in addition to something handmade. The ink pens go over really well, they are some of the best writing pens I've ever found and I have always shared them as gifts. Yesterday was our party and you wouldn't believe the number of practical things like pencils, pens, notepads, calendars, eyeglass cleaners, and such are exchanged. This year we all had the same idea to make a little bag for the other members and we all ended up with 12 very different little bags. All of which I already have a planned use for......

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

My brother loves odd foods, so I usually buy himsome kind of grilling seasoning in odd flavors. Found a generic gift set this year with a really cool cookbook.

10. Tendu

Tendu Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2009
    I usually buy things that I know will be useful or fun consumables for the hard to buy types. I've gotten people tea samplers including a cute tea pot and infuser, flannel sheets, a large jug of Dr. Bronner's Soap and other assorted PCP's, and reusable cloth menstrual pads. I have to admit the last one was a weird gift and can weird out some people, but for those who would use them it actually works well as a gift.

...Of course maybe people hate my gifts, (but at least they use them!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by