unusual laying habits?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by matt0319, Aug 2, 2013.

1. matt0319

matt0319 New Egg

Jul 30, 2013
    iron bridge ontario
    I got 5 hens two months ago. With the first week they were giving me 5 eggs a day. Nice big healthy eggs. The hens seemed happy...relaxed...well fed.
    Last week i started only getting 4 eggs...so as a first timer...i was kinda worried. after doing some research as wasnt as concerned and figured i would give it a few days.
    Two days ago i found a tiny soft shelled egg broken unxerneath the roosting area (across the coop from the nesting boxes)
    And everyday since ive found an egg underneath of onto of the roosting spot. they are normal sized eggs now...but not in the nesting box.
    Please help....why would my hen suddenly start laying while roosting after over a month of healthy regular laying?
    Any thoughts??!!

2. five is my dog

five is my dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    dont worry too bad. just put golf balls in each nest box about 3 in each box. i would give them some oyster shell too.

3. matt0319

matt0319 New Egg

Jul 30, 2013
    iron bridge ontario
    Ive had golf balls in the nesting boxes and feeding them oyster shells since day one.
    Should i be concerned...or will this pass?

4. five is my dog

five is my dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    it might just be one hen. i would give it some time.

5. matt0319

matt0319 New Egg

Jul 30, 2013
    iron bridge ontario
    Ya im positive its just one hen.
    Happened again this morning. This is my theory...
    Im assuming each hen lay in the same box every time? Correct me if thats false.
    Four of my hens seem to lay at the same time each morning. I used to get 3 eggs in the one box each morning....one in another box. And a few hours later...the fifth egg in an other box. Now im just getting 2 in that one box and one on the roost. So she probably trying to lay at the same time another hen is in "her" box. So she go to the next spot shes comfortable in...."her" roosting spot.
    Does that sound like it makes sense?

6. matt0319

matt0319 New Egg

Jul 30, 2013
    iron bridge ontario
    I have 5 hens and four nesting boxes.
    When i did my research before building the coop...i learned that up to two hens can lay in one box. So i assumed i had enough. I still believe i do. Its just frustratig that three of them de ide to use one...causing this roosting spot egg....when i have one nesting box that never gets used.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by