Unusual looking Brahma rooster

MysticOutcast

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2022
I hatched a lot of eggs from my mixed flock of chickens over the summer, one of the chickens I hatched is a dark Brahma rooster. He hatched from a dark Brahma egg and I’m positive he came from the dark Brahma rooster, the only other Roos were a golden laced polish and an old English Wheaton bantam. However he doesn’t look like a normal dark Brahma roo(will try to post pic), where there’s normally be black on the underside he has all white. Does anyone know if this is normal with Brahmas or if it’s possible he’s a mix? He’s definitely the right size for a Brahma, and the golden laced mixes either have a Mohawk or black and gold feathers(or both). I’ve only gotten one Wheaton mix and it didn’t seem to affect its physical traits much.

Attachments

• 04301A40-21D6-443C-A20B-8E29B31A958B.jpeg
    04301A40-21D6-443C-A20B-8E29B31A958B.jpeg
    841.9 KB · Views: 94
I hatched a lot of eggs from my mixed flock of chickens over the summer, one of the chickens I hatched is a dark Brahma rooster. He hatched from a dark Brahma egg and I’m positive he came from the dark Brahma rooster, the only other Roos were a golden laced polish and an old English Wheaton bantam. However he doesn’t look like a normal dark Brahma roo(will try to post pic), where there’s normally be black on the underside he has all white. Does anyone know if this is normal with Brahmas or if it’s possible he’s a mix? He’s definitely the right size for a Brahma, and the golden laced mixes either have a Mohawk or black and gold feathers(or both). I’ve only gotten one Wheaton mix and it didn’t seem to affect its physical traits much.
These are the two parent brahmas, got them from tractor supply

Attachments

• 074BDDF3-2EDA-417B-8A00-C95DD8FAD915.jpeg
    074BDDF3-2EDA-417B-8A00-C95DD8FAD915.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
Cinnamon queens, golden laced polish, dark Brahma, and old English bantams. He hatched from a Brahma egg tho
Are you sure it couldn’t have been a cinnamon queen egg? They have the gold and Columbian genes.
Your Brahmas are surprisingly nice for Tractor Supply birds.
Some times breeding to close , like inbreeding brings out the secrets hidden in the gene pool
🐓😯🤪
Yes, well Columbian is not a recessive gene.

Are you sure it couldn’t have been a cinnamon queen egg? They have the gold and Columbian genes.
Your Brahmas are surprisingly nice for Tractor Supply birds.

Yes, well Columbian is not a recessive gene.
I was trying to exclusively hatch Brahma eggs at that time, but it’s possible I might’ve mistaken a light shaded egg for a Brahma, I only managed to hatch two out of about 8, the roo and the other one was a dwarf hen, which unfortunately passed at about 3 months old. My assumption was that they’re too closely related to hatch healthy Brahmas from and I figured his coloring was a result of inbreeding, so I gave up on breeding the two dark Brahmas.

Back
Top Bottom