Unusual Stool

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken995, Jul 27, 2011.

1. chicken995

chicken995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    Hello all, needing some info here. A few months ago I got some new chicks (8 weeks old then) to add to my existing flock (12 weeks then). I quarantined the new one for the recommended month. No signs of disease or trouble, so last week after a month I brought the chickens into the permanent coop. The normal pecking was going on, nothing to worry about. However, this week I am noticing unusual stool. Some of it appears to be slightly bloody, some of it appears to have some mucus in it, and some are very liquidy. Did I somehow misses a disease that new birds might have? If so what could it be and how do I treat it? Or could it be a combination of stress from the new birds and the heat (majority of the days in the high 90s the past month). Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I'm going to preface this with "I'm not a seasoned chicken owner -this is my first year" - but my take so far from this forum and what I'm seeing with my eight girls... The reddish-brown kinda gel-looking poop is normal. I think it's called "cecal"?? The really runny stuff can, and probably is, caused by the chicken consuming greater quantities of water during this heat. Mine are all putting out all of these regularly.

I hope I'm not taking it too lightly - someone correct me if I'm off base!

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
  4. chicken995

chicken995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    Thank you so much for your help. Looking at the chart I'm thinking all is well. That baby is getting bookmarked.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by