Unusually large soft shelled misshapened eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beedude, Feb 18, 2015.

1. beedude

beedude Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2011
    Osteen, FL
    We are getting unusually large eggs with soft shells and they are noticeably (but not dramatically) misshapen. We think this is only from one of 7 chickens. The entire shell is soft but also has a softer spot in the side. We feed them layer feed which has calcium in it. Also provide oyster shell free feed. None of the girls are acting peculiar or sick. Any advice?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  3. beedude

beedude Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2011
    Osteen, FL
    Thank you.

4. davidndarlynn

davidndarlynn New Egg

Feb 26, 2015
    apple valley ca
    [​IMG]

Struggling to identify what's wrong with my hen. She just started laying a couple weeks ago. I noticed nothing out of the norm until today when we found this egg in the nesting box. Please help!

5. Cluckies

Cluckies Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    New layers sometimes lay soft shelled eggs, or rubber eggs, or mishappen eggs. Is she acting strange at all?

6. davidndarlynn

davidndarlynn New Egg

Feb 26, 2015
    apple valley ca
    Cluckies, no she is acting her normal self. I've not seen any signs of illness in her or any of my other hens .

7. davidndarlynn

davidndarlynn New Egg

Feb 26, 2015
    apple valley ca
    Cluckies, no she is acting her normal self. I've not seen any signs of illness in her or any of my other hens .

8. Cluckies

Cluckies Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Well, I would keep an eye on her to see if anything changes in that regard. I'd also up her protein with BOSS, or a higher protein feed, mealworms, scrambled eggs, etc. My new layer was having issues and I upped the protein and the eggs became normal again. Mine was not acting completely normal though. she was laying eggs like when she was free ranging, she would just lay down, or just stand there not eating. I gave her a warm bath in epson salts and that seemed to help her feel better, soft eggs are hard to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by