Unusually Small Egg

lchorne

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 2, 2009
Chatham County, NC
One of our eight to nine month old Rhode Island Red chickens laid an 1 inch egg today. Normally they lay large to extra large eggs. It's been in the 20s to 30s the last few days. What do you think might have caused this unusually small egg? We've seen jelly eggs early in their laying but this small egg has a shell. Hum?

40454_rhode_island_chicken_egg.jpg

40454_ex_large_-large-_extra_small.jpg

Hey and welcome to BYC!
That egg looks like what is lovingly? referred to around BYC as a fart egg.
Nothing to worry about. Just a glitch at the egg factory. Alot of times they won't contain a yolk, but every one I've ever gotten has had a small but definite yolk.

Thanks for all your quick responses on this small egg question. Maybe I'll save this first unusual small egg by blowing the yoke out (if any) and decorate it like I did my hen's eggs for the holidays. Maybe it should be decorated as "Happy New Year"

40454_christmas_eggs_2009.jpg

We call them fairy eggs around here, well except for my nine-year old, he likes fart egg better.
roll.png

LOVE your decorated eggs! That is such a cute idea, and you did an outstanding job. I have no artistic talent what so ever, but maybe I can talk my oldest into doing some for an Easter tree......

Back
Top Bottom