Unvaxed chicks

FloridaFlock

Chirping
Jun 8, 2020
I purchased with a group of friends and was not the one to order. They knew little about vaxing and even though I asked they didn’t vax the group. I have been using medicated feed but curious up to what age it’s appropriate to vax for Marek Disease. I feel like my window has closed. Any suggestions or info? TIA

Welcome!
Medicated chick started (with amprolium) is designed to help the chicks avoid illness when they are exposed to coccidia in your soil. The low dose amprolium decreases the ability of the coccidia to overwhelm the chicks, so they have time to develop partial immunity to the parasite. So it's necessary for them to eat it until after they have been exposed to your soil for a couple of weeks. Some of us haven't needed to feed this feed, and others have issues with coccidiosis in their chicks and do better feeding medicated feed.
Marek's vaccine is done with day old chicks, who then need to avoid exposure to the virus for two weeks, so they have time to develop protection from the tumors caused by the disease. If it's given after exposure, it does no good. Rather than vaccinating your new chicks, consider getting your next chicks vaccinated, so at least they will be protected.
Mary

PS I know medicated feed does nothing for Marek disease but was concerned about coccidiosis thus the reason I went with medicated. Hope to be able to wean off that once my feed runs out in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom