1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Unwanted Birds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by michael94, Jan 26, 2008.

1. michael94

michael94 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2007
    I usually feed my chickens on the ground. As soon as I get out of site the wild birds fly into my pen and consume a lot of the feed, Any one got any ideas how to stop this or slow it down.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    Shotgun?

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You could try netting, a poultry feeder. I don't know what your setup is, but I have been leaving my feeder in the coop with the door open.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Moved this to feeding time for more responses.

As for reducing wild birds eating up your feed, I'd get some feeders and put the food into that, inside of the chicken house. That way the chickens will crowd around the feeders and the birds won't have space to jump around between the chickens. Plus, this will prevent feed wastage and attraction of unwanted pests on the ground. Also prevent lice from birds getting to your birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by