unwanted birds

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mags5, Feb 2, 2013.

1. mags5

mags5 New Egg

Aug 5, 2012
    The starlilngs found the way in thru the chicken door. They eat the chicken food and then leave. Any ideas on how to keep them out but yet let the chickens in. It is an opening at the botton of the door and now that they have found it I am sure the will return everyday. HELP

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Ugh. The only solution I know is a treadle feeder that the chickens are heavy enough to trip but the starlings aren't. They will also bring your girls lice and mites, most likely.

3. KIWI CHICK

KIWI CHICK Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2013
    I was having terrible trouble with sparrows getting into my chook house and eating the food. In the end I hung up one of those curtains made out of strips of coloured plastic and have not seen a bird in there since. I think the movement of the strips in the wind scares the sparrows and the chooks don't seem to worry at all.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Trapping is another option...gets rid of those currently getting in...but there are always more to take their place. Lots of good sparrow traps online....presumably they work for starlings as well. Good luck!

5. cyw iar

cyw iar Out Of The Brooder

Did the chickens have any difficulty figuring out that they could push through? I'm having the same problem! 20 darn grackles hanging out in the henhaus, they zip in through the open pop door and won't leave. The poor hens don't want to go in with the grackles constantly fluttering around in there.

6. KIWI CHICK

KIWI CHICK Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2013
    No, the girls had no problem at ll figuring it out than goodness. I have only had one sparrow in the house since I nailed the curtain up.

7. cyw iar

cyw iar Out Of The Brooder

Maybe I picked the wrong color - I hung up bright orange survey flagging (plastic streamers, basically), and it didn't stop the grackles but did stop half the hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by