Unwanted chicks after Easter

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GardeNerd, Apr 10, 2009.

1. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I saw a woman in the feed store on Thursday buying ducks for her preschoolers. I could tell the owner didn't really want her to buy any that day without her buying a heatlamp and other stuff to keep them alive more than a few days. Aggh! I worried about the ducklings future knowing how much work it has been now that I've had baby chicks. Then I saw this ad. I saw it on craigslist and thought what a great idea for new chicks/ ducks and rescue some them at the same time. I would do it too, but I have 6 which is already too many. I might try it next year! Anyone else ever do this?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/wan/1107607032.html

It said:
    Around this time of year, many families decide that it will be cute to put a live chick or duckling in their children's Easter basket as part of the celebration. I won't deny that they are adorable, but most families are not prepared to actually raise them in the long run. If you do decide to get these little fluff-balls but then don't want to raise them, please think of me. I will accept any bird, gender/breed/age does not matter, and I will give it a good home. I already have two beloved ducks and 5 great hens, so I know how to care for them and give them a good life.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  2. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    thats such a good idea! i feel bad for all the little chicks and ducklings that won't have good homes because of the "easter spirit"

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    WOW what a great idea!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been thinking the same thing myself. How wonderful that someone is trying to make a better life for these little ones!! My chickens are beloved members of the family, I couldn't see putting one in an Easter basket to be cute.

Sonja

5. blueoval1

blueoval1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    I feel bad for them too Who knows what is going to happen to them after easter or if they make it till after easter. [​IMG]

6. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I want to do there here where I live. I was a a feed store this morning and they already sold out of all their colored chicks and in the matter of a few hours sold 13 bunnies. You know in a few months when they all get bigger and not cute they will be homeless. I cannot take them all.

I just hate it. [​IMG]

7. tcwk

tcwk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW, PA
    That is a great thing to do, i got my hands full with 12 chicks right now, wish i would of waited until after Easter.

8. ChickieKeeta

ChickieKeeta C'mon C'mere Fluffa Feathers

Feb 16, 2009
    Cumberland County NJ
    In south jersey on craigslist I have seen ads renting chicks
    or bunnies for 1 or 2 weeks. They come with cage, feed and heat lamps

others are selling chicks for $5 and offering to buy them back for $1

9. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    That is especially awesome for someone wanting to get a whole bunch of different breeds adn wanting to do something nice and helpful at the same time [​IMG]

10. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I think I might do something like that. Get them and possibly keep them or try to find good homes for them. I know a lot of people that are friends and family that have been dieing to have chickens of certain breeds. And I know myself wouldnt mind a few more. Even though my hubby would kill me. lol. I have a huge brooder with only 4 chicks in it right now. I could spare room for more. Think I will post one in my area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by