Unwanted Roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by WVChickenFarmer, Aug 22, 2013.

1. WVChickenFarmer

WVChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Union, WV
    What do people with roosters they don't want or can't get rid of? I have way to many roosters I have 1 white rock, 3 barnyard mixes, and 3 silver laced wyandotte roosters. I have no idea what to do with them. I have been trying get rid of the white rock or over a year now. But no one wants any roosters. I do not want to butcher them because there is no way I could. I'm really at lost on what to do.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The simplest thing is to find someone who will butcher and eat a chicken -- or learn to do your own. Most people with larger flocks do this themselves. You'd be surprised how many of them were horrified at the idea of butchering and eating their own, but found they could indeed adjust to it. The chicken gets a good life for as long as it's around, much better than what you buy in the store, and you get a healthful meal. Look around in our Meat Birds section; many people discuss their adustment to burchering their own.

We have an Animals in Need of Free Rehoming forum where you can list your extra roosters, but as you say, there is not a lot of demand, especially if you insist they not be eaten.

1 person likes this.
  3. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Unless they're aggressive, I post them for sale first. Then, if they don't sell, I send them to the freezer. If you can't sell or give them away, you don't really have any other options. It's not pleasant, but home-grown chicken is the best tasting chicken you will ever eat. If you can't do it yourself, it's usually possible to find a farmer or someone who will do it for you for a little money or maybe halfers on the meat.

4. madonna

madonna New Egg

Aug 18, 2013
    Hi,
    I went to guyer farms for a hay auction for my horses and found out that they auction out chickens ther were hens and roos there. .....just a thought

5. Mettomom

Mettomom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    I have three chicks, they are about 10 weeks old. I have recently discovered that one is probably a rooster. I absolutely adore her/him... but I cant have a rooster -- We live in South Florida. does anyone know of any solutions?

Thanks

6. Mettomom

Mettomom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    PS: Butchering, killing, eating NOT AN OPTION

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    You can set up a separate pen for cockrels only; some breeds will be good this way, others will kill each other. You can send them to a local auction with good wishes, or get many pullets; at least eight to ten per cockrel; and have separate pens as needed. And never raise their chicks, because 50 to 60% will be males. Mary

8. paulina16

paulina16 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2013
    LA
    I have a beautiful leghorn white hen but she yells a lot I can't have her at my home anymore people I had problems . Where can I have her a good home .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by