Unwanted situation by hatchery

crooked stripe

Songster
12 Years
Jan 14, 2008
N.E Ohio- Suffield
I bought 6 chicks a week ago. 3 have died so far. I called the hatchery to find out if anyone else has reported any sicknesses and they told me none have been reported. They are going to give me 4 of the breed that have died. The problem is I have to wait 2 weeks to get the replacements. What problems do you think I will encounter. I don't know how to treat the sickness if there is any and what to expect. Any thoughts?

As harsh as it sounds, I suggest you do not try to treat them at all, for any reason. You don't need to start with sick birds. Just let them send you replacements and hopefully, things will be better the next time around.

Were the chicks shipped? It would probably be helpful to give some more information to try and figure out what may be wrong with them. They could have shipping stress, cocci, access to mold/wet litter. These things are fixable and not as serious. Or they could have a respiratory illness, which can potentially be passed on to others and give you more problems. It all depends on what is going on with them.

I picked up the chicks at the hatchery. It is only a 35 minute drive from home. They hatched out on Sun. and I brought them home on Mon. 5 White Rock females and 1 Golden Buff male. One rock was smaller than the rest and it died the second day. The others a day apart. Active at first eating and drinking as they should then standing with their eyes closed weaving back and forth. Stools looked good at first then turned clear and runny. With in hours of starting this behavior dead on the brooder floor. Brooder temps in the mid 90's. On paper towels the first couple days then pine chips. This is the 5th time raising chicks from day olds and the first time for loses. I will cull if I have to. I can't let this get to my older laying hens. John
ETA only the White Rocks.

Last edited:
Purina medicated starter and no treatments yet. As of now I don't know what to treat. I think what ever they have came from the hatchery. I am a stickler for clean dry conditions and the health of the birds.

Standing with eyes closed at a couple days sounds like they may be cold. Have you checked the temps in the brooder with a thermometer.

94.4 as I type. I monitor it from inside the house with a remote digital thermometer. The 2 that are left seem fine this morning, bright eyed and running and flapping as if nothing is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom