Unwanted Visitors

Teppler

Songster
7 Years
Jan 29, 2014
Denison, Texas
Okay I have 6 hens that I keep fastened up and all has been well for a while until now, My neighbor, approx. 2 blocks away ,acquired chickens and now free ranges them, Several full grown roosters have started daily coming to my yard and strutting back and forth outside my run and crowing constantly. We live in the county so no rules to keep him from free ranging . I don't want to harm them so looking for a way to discourage them have chased them away but they persist in coming back, comments or suggestions...so far they have not tried to get inside run...

Good morning. I would set up a motion activated sprinkler. If the sound of it coming on doesn't get 'em, surely a nice spray to the face will. They sell the impact kind. Not sure if it is on a spike on the ground or on a base, but they hook to the end of a water hose. If you cant do a motion activated one, maybe just get a regular one and turn it off and on yourself as needed since you can see when the activity is taking place.

I would think free ranging on their own property is one thing, but they are trespassing on your property and animal control SHOULD do something about it. Aside from that, there are usually noise ordinances no matter what time of day. I have to say, I would be quite frustrated if someone else's roos were harassing me everyday. Even though, I'm sure they just think your girls are beautiful and probably want a date!

Good luck.

Okay I have 6 hens that I keep fastened up and all has been well for a while until now, My neighbor, approx. 2 blocks away ,acquired chickens and now free ranges them, Several full grown roosters have started daily coming to my yard and strutting back and forth outside my run and crowing constantly. We live in the county so no rules to keep him from free ranging . I don't want to harm them so looking for a way to discourage them have chased them away but they persist in coming back, comments or suggestions...so far they have not tried to get inside run...
That is a really tough one IMO --

One thing that you could possibly do is to talk to the owners. I know in TX we talked to a judge when a neighbor's mutt bull jumped the fence and tried to hang around with the registered stock that we had -- and he could have easily messed up a breeding program for high-dollar registered animals. The judge said that it was our responsibility to have fences that their bull couldn't penetrate.
he.gif
It wasn't their responsibility to keep their animal off our property. That being said -- I think that the laws in TX give you the right to protect your own livestock and yourself. --

Barring doing harm to their rooster (they must not care too much for their stock if they expose them to coyote etc -- which is a factor of free-ranging )-- Maybe they have too many roos and they don't know what to do with the excess....so you are solving their problem for them. -- Lots of folks would say SSS -- and when you think of biosecurity, yes any stray is a threat to your animals -- you don't know what kind of care that they give their flock -- it could have a number of contageous chicken diseases. If I saw a stray on my property -- likely I would shoot it -- because of the simple factor of the diseases it could expose my flock to. I'm pretty serious about my chickens and not in the least casual.

I have a live-trap that I set out just outside the pens for my chickens. -- When in the day I don't inhibit closure - occasionally one of my hens will wander in there and get herself trapped. If you have a live trap -- like hav-a-heart -- you could set the trap outside the pens where the rooster parades. -- At least once trapped he wouldn't do harm to your flock. It probably wouldn't stop the crowing if that bothers you....
rant.gif

Phone the neighbor to come and redeem their rooster -- maybe after awhile they will get tired of redeeming it? and prevent his straying. People who are irresponsible animal owners do give animals a bad name that the animal probably doesn't deserve as much as the owner does.

Otherwise -- maybe fencing that would prevent him -- like an electric wire a foot off the ground -- (an expense for you due to their irresponsibility....
somad.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom