Unwelcome visitor!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rooster2410, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Rooster2410

Rooster2410 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2012
    I was looking out my kitchen window to check on my mandies, and what do I see? An unwelcome visitor sitting next to the cage, trying to figure out how to get in. The ducks in the other pen were all hiding in their little house. The mandies didnt seem to care much though. Odd.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Looks like its been stormy in your part of the world?
    You better do something about that predator now before it's to late

3. Rooster2410

Jan 13, 2012
    Yeah, we had a pretty good ice storm here in Western Washington State. Lots of tree branches all over the place still.... What can I do about him? The mandies are covered and very safe. The other ducks have an open top. I plan on getting some netting for the top, but until then, what can be done about him?

I love hawks, I wanted to do Falconry (and still do). I've done alot of studying but its a pain finding somone who can sponsor you sometimes. :-\

4. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    My first answer would be to shoot him, sorry [​IMG]. I understand your love for hawks though and that this is not an option for you? He will eventually figure out that the top is open on one of your coops and then help himself. He may even try to pull them through the fencing if the hole are big enough? I would suggest to get it covered a.s.a.p and until then chase him away whenever he comes around. Maybe even make a scare crow with some old clothes that you move around the coop to a different spot everyday. If that doesn't stop him you can sting him with a paint ball gun?
    Just a few ideas to try and help [​IMG]

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    You are not legally allowed to harm any Birds of Prey. Hanging CD's, Playing Loud music, Zip Lines across your yard, are all deterrents but nothing can truly make sure he stays away.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rooster2410

Jan 13, 2012
    Yep lol..... Maybe I will just start tying rats out to the lawn like in Jurasic Park with the Goat. Keep em fed off my birds. [​IMG]

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    that might eventually cost a pretty penny but you could always raise your own rats lol...it looks like its tail is scissor shaped and is pretty

8. OwlLover

OwlLover Alaskan Wanderer

Aug 25, 2011
    Stinging him with a paintball gun can be considered harassing and can still get you fined.

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    it could also still kill the hawk

10. OwlLover

OwlLover Alaskan Wanderer

Aug 25, 2011
    It couldn't unless it was shot in the eye, and even then shooting him in flight would be very difficult. A normal gun could kill him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by