Unwell 1yo hen has protruding chest and walks w/o balance

QChickieMama

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 1, 2011
She's too timid for me to get near enough to hold her. She's sleeping in nest at night instead of roosting, and daytime, she sits far more than usual. It's been about a week since she seemed normal. The other 3 hens in her pen are well. She's not the lowest pecking order of pen. Last month she spent a long time broody, and I'm not sure she's laid an egg since then.

Breed: she's redding brown all over, can't recall the name of her breed.

It seems she doesnt want to push her head forward like normal when she walks. She's leading with her chest.

From these notes, can anyone tell me what might be wrong with her?

Can you bring her out and get a few pictures of her standing? I would give her some vitamins and feed her some moist feed with cooked egg. I would not let her into the nest box at night, just in case she is continuing broody behavior because she will suffer poor nutrition. Check her crop to see if it is empty or full, soft and puffy or hard. Check her lower abdomen and vent area for any swelling or enlargement. You could insert a finger inside her vent to check for a stuck egg. I would try to get her eating and drinking.

IMG_6555.jpg
IMG_6557.JPG

She seems to have a lump offcenter in the front and then you can compare her to her sister behind her. She doesn't carry her head normally. But she did have spunk to zoom up to me and ask for snacks. Also, her behind has something white-ish on it.

Can you bring her out and get a few pictures of her standing? I would give her some vitamins and feed her some moist feed with cooked egg. I would not let her into the nest box at night, just in case she is continuing broody behavior because she will suffer poor nutrition. Check her crop to see if it is empty or full, soft and puffy or hard. Check her lower abdomen and vent area for any swelling or enlargement. You could insert a finger inside her vent to check for a stuck egg. I would try to get her eating and drinking.
She's eating and drinking fine, running around more than she was sitting. She has some poo on her back feathers which confirms my suspicion that something's wrong with her neck so she can't reach her back to clean it. I'll just keep an eye on her, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom