Unwell and Dying Chicks

baby-blue

Songster
Mar 21, 2019
Hello! I have two groups being brooded at the moment and for the past few days, they have been seeming unwell and some have died. Their poops are normal, they’re eating and drinking, but the few that have died have seemed lethargic for a few days and then died. I now have 4 more that are looking lethargic. The groups are separated - the older ones are 4-6 weeks old and the younger ones are 1-3 weeks old. They always have clean water and they’re on a gamebird starter. I gave them a bran/crumble mash today with a Durastat product (I forgot the name, I’ll check and edit the post), probiotics, and electrolytes to see if it would help them perk up. Any help and advice is appreciated.

Coccidiosis comes to mind from the symptoms and pattern of lethargy followed by death. Where are these chicks being brooded? Have they touched the same ground that adult chickens have been on? Is your weather warm and humid?

I recommend treating all chicks with Corid starting immediately.

Coccidiosis comes to mind from the symptoms and pattern of lethargy followed by death. Where are these chicks being brooded? Have they touched the same ground that adult chickens have been on? Is your weather warm and humid?

I recommend treating all chicks with Corid starting immediately.

They do come into contact with the same ground - the older chicks get outside time for about an hour everyday and they’re in contact with my adult chickens during that time. They’re brooded outside on a sheltered porch. The older group is in a 5x3 wooden box and the younger ones are in a puppy playpen. The younger ones have a heating pad but the older ones are almost fully feathered so they are not. And yes - we’re in south Florida, so it’s very hot and humid. I forgot to mention that I also have guinea keets living with the chicks. Is the corid safe for them as well?

Back
Top Bottom