Unwell chick

nikirushka

Songster
6 Years
Dec 2, 2014
My littlest newbie is not right - I mentioned diarrhoea in the newbie thread but this morning, I've given her a little bath to clean her up and her abdomen is swollen and dark. It was a little swollen when I got her, and squishy to the touch, but it's bigger now. It doesn't feel hot and doesn't seem to be painful. She's still lively, still eating and drinking and her poo is marginally improved but she is a bit fluffed up and has me worried now. This is how she looks:

The state of her feathers is because of the bath, she's not dried out yet!

Last edited:
Hmm is she maybe fluffed up because of the bath experience/wetness?
1f62e.png
Glad she's acting normal aside from that!

I think you were right to a degree - she was less fluffed once she'd settled and dried out fully. Still is a tiny bit, but not like she was. She's looking better in any case, and I've picked up some ACV to help her out a bit.

One of the adults though has a respiratory problem - I think down to overcrowding/poor conditions - is there anything I can do about that myself or is that a vet trip?

Sorry to hear that, I've never had to experience respiratory problems in birds before but if it's just simple irritation then a clean and ventilated environment may improve it?

It's a proper infection as far as I can tell. She's slightly worse now than when she arrived so I'm assuming poor hygeine triggered it, then the stress of the move has let it set in. I've got ABs on the way for her.

Back
Top Bottom