Unwell Cochin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by James_UK, Feb 9, 2012.

1. James_UK

James_UK Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    London, UK
    This morning I unlocked my Cochins and discovered that one of my hens had laid what appeared to be an undeveloped egg minus the yoke or any shell.

She walked around for a bit and seemed unbalanced spreading her wings to gain balance when jumping from roosts. She is a little quiter than normal (may be due to winter?) but is eating and drinking as normal.
    Is there something drastically wrong here or something that can be easily rectified?

Many thanks in advance for any help,

James.

2. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    The short answer is that if she lays an egg in the next day or so that is normal, then it's simply a case of her conveyor belt getting out of whack. But, it might be the sign of a serious problem. The yolk and/or the shell could still be inside of her, infected, and will cause an impaction. I'd give her a nice warm bath. Sometimes simply relaxing the area helps pass things along and prevents further problems. I have a video on how to do a bath on YouTube. Don't bother with the soap, but epsom salts in the water helps. One warning - a cochin will take a long time to blow dry!

3. James_UK

James_UK Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    London, UK
    That's great Terry, thank you for your help I'll get that done ASAP.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by