unwell hen for 6months

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jeanette60, Jan 10, 2017.

1. jeanette60

jeanette60 Just Hatched

Dec 5, 2016
    Hi everyone. Thank you for your contributions to this site. I live in the foothills of Adelaide, South Australia. I rescued 4 Isa Brown Hens 6months ago. They had a dirt floor iron shed plus a large grassed run to free range during the day. One hen was taken by a fox. I have moved the rest close to my house under a verandah, a large bird aviary for night time then free range during the day. They don't use the perch but have just read on this site that you need to teach them how, so will do. I have straw on the floor and remove droppings daily.
    I have one hen who has appeared unwell for the past 6mths, her name is Lazzarus, (Lazzi for short). I have used this site for advice and have tried different things and have syringe fed her when necessary. Her poo has always been runny and has varied from brown watery fluid to greenish.
    Lazzi had a very heavy red mite infestation when I got her so I treated all hens with Pestene powder. They have also been wormed. Lazzi has been near death several times but has rallied unexpectedly each time. She had a slow crop intermittently which I treated by vomiting her carefully each am then feeding her boiled egg/yoghurt. Her crop is now empty each am but still distended. I have never seen her lay an egg.
    Her appetite is good, I feed her separately now with wet chook pellets, meal worms and yoghurt/boiled egg. She is very underweight, her comb has always looked floppy but not bright, a little dark somedays. Her vent is always dirty with sparse feathers in that region. In short she looks chronically unwell. The other two hens are thriving.
    Unfortunately I am financially compromised and can't afford a vet. Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be the problem. Thank you so much. Jeanette from OZ.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She sounds like she may have a chronic yeast infection in her crop and digestive tract. The plain probiotic yogurt is helpful, but she probably needs antifungal medicine to help fight it. You will have to search in your country, but here is the US, we can use fluconazole, nystatin, and some use miconazole suppositories cut into pieces and fed orally for several days. The first 2 are prescription drugs from vets. In Canada canesoral is sometimes found without a prescription.
    Keep in mind that some illnesses such as Mareks and avian leukosis, can cause chronic wasting with crop problems. Unfortunatey, most of us don't have access to vets, so we have to read as much as possible, and try some remedies that others have had success with.

2 people like this.
  3. jeanette60

jeanette60 Just Hatched

Dec 5, 2016
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post. I will investigate which antifungals are available non prescription in Australia. Perhaps probiotics too. Its all worth a try. I also had a thought that maybe she could be anaemic post heavy mite infection so I might try to find out how to supplement using human iron supps. She had a much heavier red mite infestation compared to the others. Im not sure how long it would take a chicken to regain iron levels. Thanks again.

4. jeanette60

jeanette60 Just Hatched

Dec 5, 2016
    Thank you so much "Eggcessive" for your advice about my hen Lazzarus who had been unwell for 6mths.
    I wanted to let you know that your suggestion of chronic digestive tract yeast infection seemed to be correct.
    I treated her with Nilstat drops which you can buy here without a prescription. She is finally making progress.
    She is even vocalising albeit sounding more like a goose than a chicken!!!!! Thank you again.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome, and I'm glad that Lazzarus has responded to her medicine so well. Good luck for a continued eecocery.

6. jeanette60

jeanette60 Just Hatched

Dec 5, 2016
    Hi Eggcessive
    My Lazarus hen is doing ok but I have noticed her voice changing again. After the anti fungal medication she went from being silent to sounding like a goose, (honking).

Im just curious what you think could be going on, she now squeaks a little, no other noises. I dont know much about chook anatomy but wondered if her voice box (if they have one),
    has been affected by the ?fungal infection.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I doubt that it was the medicine.They can get aspergillosis, a fungal infection, that can affect the voice, cause gasping, and affect different parts of the body. It is from mold, and can become chronic. Dusty conditions and poor air circulation can contribute to aspergillosis. However, I have sometimes noticed voice changes in my hens when they get older. One sounds like a goose, and that is normal for her.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  8. jeanette60

jeanette60 Just Hatched

Dec 5, 2016
    Thanks again for your thoughts. Can aspergillosis in chickens be treated successfully? Its possible she has picked up something nasty as she came from an aweful environment. cheers

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Aspergillosis from mold is fairly common, but it is unknown if she has that or not. It causes fungal infection here and there throughout the body. If someone was lucky and wealthy enough to afford an avian vet who could do an endoscopy, they might diagnose it and remove some of the fungal patches. But it can spread throughout the body through the air sacs. Normally there is no treatment for aspergillosis, but removing any mold or conditions that might lead to it, such as dust or poor air circulation, wet or moldy conditions, and excessive heat use in the chicken coop that causes more symptoms.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by