1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Unwell Silkie Roo, any suggestions??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tartannik, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    Hey everyone, my silkie roo is not a well wee man, his lovely mulberry wattles have lost their colour, he sometimes walks in circles, is unsteady on his feet and he doesn't seem to be seeing very well. He is drinking quite a lot and eating.
    Any suggestions??

2. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    Oh no!!! Hes such a cutie too! From those symptoms Im sure someone will have some good links or suggestions, I dont have a clue. [​IMG]

3. Tartannik

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    Nobody else obviously has a clue either lol! I have him in the house at the minute in the living room and he appears to be watching Formula One the television! He is in a box without a lid and hasn't tried to get out it at all. He is still eating and drinking but hasn't crowed this morning. Think I am going to lose him [​IMG]

4. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Being unsteady on his feet sounds to me like botulism or mould. I had 4 huge brahma hens taken down by a 10p size piece of mould last year, it's deadly. Might be worth looking under and around your waterers and giving things a good clean. Activated charcoal sprinkled on his food might help and a mixture of selenium and vitamin E drops too. Both of these are easy to find at the chemist. It was too late for my hens but hopefully you can save your wee chap. Best of luck.

5. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Okay have you checked his ears.....one roo (now very well) had both ears clogged up with feathers and also ear wax took some time to carefully remove them and voila, he's up and well again.... He ate his food so quickly that he would sling it in his ears and then rub his face in the dirt during bathing and he was a mess. So happy the silly one is well. Nancy

6. Tartannik

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    Quote:Thanks for answering, have looked up botulism and I don't think that is what it is as he has been ill for a few weeks (not as bad as this) and I think botulism would have killed him before now. Also, it says chickens can't eat or drink as the muscles won't work but he is eating and drinking quite the thing, he just has problems finding it.

Bargain, I have checked his ears and they appear to be normal as far as i can tell!

Thanks again for answering, i think i will take him to the vet tomorrow!

7. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    Good luck!
    Highlander you have the best sig line ever. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by