Up before sunrise?

RNPAULIE69

Songster
May 27, 2017
Since I got my pullets in June I have fed them between 6 and 615 am. Their pop door is still open to secure run because we have been having a mild fall so far. I have noticed in the past weeks that although sunrise is later they still get up and come out of the coop at the same time? It's still dark out ( our porch light does shed a tiny bit of light so I can see the pen in the dark yard. Is it unusual for them to come out in a completely dark pen? They cluck loudly for breakfast(they have their pellets already but are waiting for their heated mashed pellets and yogurt!) 3 days a week I have to leave for work around 620 so I do feed them early and have solar lights in pen so they can see to eat. Are they just conditioned to this particular time frame now?

Every morning my roosters start crowing around 4 am (when it is still very dark!). They will do it for maybe 5 minute and then be quiet until the sun comes up. I think our neighbors rooster is a bad influence on them.

Coming down in the dark is a side effect of very hungry birds thinking / knowing feed can be found in a very predictable location. It is not an issue in a secure coop or run but if birds are free-range, you are asking for trouble as predators like to snatch birds that can not them in the dark.

Coming down in the dark is a side effect of very hungry birds thinking / knowing feed can be found in a very predictable location. It is not an issue in a secure coop or run but if birds are free-range, you are asking for trouble as predators like to snatch birds that can not them in the dark.
The pen is secure

Yep unless you change it for them. Is there door on a timer?
No timer..i had been closing the door but it's been so nice at night I have been leaving it open. I personally don't want a timer..worry about malfunctions, birds not getting in on time especially with the weird warm weather lately. Sometimes they poke around in the pen and linger

No timer..i had been closing the door but it's been so nice at night I have been leaving it open. I personally don't want a timer..worry about malfunctions, birds not getting in on time especially with the weird warm weather lately. Sometimes they poke around in the pen and linger
Mine do to I've been having my son open up everything in the morning before school. The sun doesn't come up until 7 right now and I leave at 530 ready for the time change

Mine do to I've been having my son open up everything in the morning before school. The sun doesn't come up until 7 right now and I leave at 530 ready for the time change

Same here... The Sunrise Calculator site I just looked at said that it comes up at 0711... I leave at about 0515. I have my son open the coop up at about 0620 before he hops on the bus. I'm sure they come out when they're awake and ready. We close the door after they go to bed, either when we happen to be down there at dusk, or a little after when we remember.

Back
Top Bottom