Up date and Cinder my rescue chicken!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by wasatusay, Nov 7, 2010.

1. wasatusay

wasatusay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Sorry it has been a while since I posted, but the summer season focuses my attention to counting, logging and photographing the painted buntings (my avatar) that breed here is SC. I have shot over 30,000 photos this season and have had many banded. But enough of that for this is THE Chicken forum #1. Any who, to update, I lost Honey one of my Light Brahmas, I don't think she ever got right after the horrible hot summer. That breed is not heat tolerant at all. But Dot Dot the mouse killer Light Brahma did good. Okay now to "Cinder" the rescue chicken...I found he on the side of the road, along with parts of another chicken that did not survive the 50mph impact of falling off the slaughter trucks. I noticed her head in the grass by the non survivor... and had to stop and help her. That was on the 2nd of Nov. She was pretty beat up, but canned pumpkin (it worked for Lucy the other rescued slaughter chicken I found a few years back) mixed with plain yogurt, bird vitamins (one or two drops), kickin' chicken omega oils, banana and some starter grow (really wet) she is starting to get back to 100%. Now mind you this is a chicken bigger than my Jersey Giant, Sooty who is over 2 yo but this girl is only a peeper, maybe 6-8-10 weeks old. When I found Lucy she was younger and still had the baby blue eyes, this girls eyes have changed the the gold/yellow so I know she is older than the 6 weeks. We have been taking it slow and get outside time in spurts.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Keep up the good work and keep us posted! [​IMG]

3. wasatusay

Nov 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    She is doing great! No one expected her to make it but I knew that as long as no broken bones or head swelling I could get her back up. I am sure I will only have months with her, as the last one (Lucy) only lived 6 months due to several egg prolapses and probable heart failure. I hate what people don't know about what they are eating but get snubbed every time I put it in their face. Did you notice that the black thing that comes into the last frames of the video is a black cocker spaniel...That will give you an idea of how big this "Peep" is.

4. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I stopped eating those kinds of chickens long ago. We get ours from a couple friends who raise normal chickens for meat birds.

5. wasatusay

Nov 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Cinder Block, it's a boy by the neck and saddle feathers showing up real good. This is today 17 days after first picked up. All healed, getting real active and doing real chicken things and still peeps.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Bless his little chicken heart! Kudos for saving him - even if he doesn't live long, he is loved! No, i can't buy chicken in the store or eggs for that matter, knowing how they are treated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by