UP-Date, Possible Marek's .....Hen sits different then the other hens

416bigbore

Ruffus and Big Boy
Jun 11, 2020
NC
I have noticed that one of our four Isa Brown hens who is about 20 months old now has started to sit on her legs differently over the other three hens. She is showing no signs of distress that I can see. She walks fine, eats fine, and does everything normal like the other three, but she started to sit on her legs funny with both feet straight out front of her while being in a raised position.

I tried to research what might be going on with her and I had no luck in finding anything. Is this something I need to be concerned about? This isn't a great picture but this is how she sits whether on the ground eating and or on the dish of fresh Oyster Shells. LOL

Attachments

• Hen 01.jpg
    Hen 01.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 21
Can you get a picture or a short video uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted her of her on the ground or walking around? If she tends to sit or walk on her hocks, Inwould give her 1/4 tablet daily of human vitamin B complex (not B12) for a possible riboflavin (B2) deficiency. It can be crushed and put into food or a few drops of water. It is good to watch for anything unusual with her gait, in case she has something going on with something neurological or vitamin-related.

Is she walking any differently? I think if given a wide perch, it's not uncommon for a chicken to sit on their hocks.
She walks perfectly fine and shows no signs of any issues that I can tell. It's like she likes to sit that way over stand like the other three of her sisters. That's why I had to ask if this was normal or a possible issue starting with her?

She walks perfectly fine and shows no signs of any issues that I can tell. It's like she likes to sit that way over stand like the other three of her sisters. That's why I had to ask if this was normal or a possible issue starting with her?
It certainly wouldn't hurt to follow Eggcessive's advise to err on the side of caution; extra B vitamins don't hurt anyone. My feelings, based on the info you've provided, still lean toward she's probably fine.

Can you get a picture or a short video uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted her of her on the ground or walking around? If she tends to sit or walk on her hocks, Inwould give her 1/4 tablet daily of human vitamin B complex (not B12) for a possible riboflavin (B2) deficiency. It can be crushed and put into food or a few drops of water. It is good to watch for anything unusual with her gait, in case she has something going on with something neurological or vitamin-related.
I can try to get a video of her walking a bit later. She don't walk on her hocks, she walks around normally from what I can tell.

I feed them a variety of fermented grains and add Fertrell Poultry Nutri-Balancer and Brewers Dried Yeast and Knox unflavored Gelatin. I would be very surprised if it was do to a deficiency of some sort in their daily diet. This is on top of all the fresh healthy vegetables they receive daily.

I can try to get a video of her walking a bit later. She don't walk on her hocks, she walks around normally from what I can tell.

I feed them a variety of fermented grains and add Fertrell Poultry Nutri-Balancer and Brewers Dried Yeast and Knox unflavored Gelatin. I would be very surprised if it was do to a deficiency of some sort in their daily diet. This is on top of all the fresh healthy vegetables they receive daily.
When exactly did she last lay an egg?
Does she lay oversized eggs?
Do you have a rooster that is rough on her?
When did you last deworm her?

In your picture her face does look pale to me.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to follow Eggcessive's advise to err on the side of caution; extra B vitamins don't hurt anyone. My feelings, based on the info you've provided, still lean toward she's probably fine.
Thank you. I hope she is fine and nothing to worry about, but since I am no expert, I felt it best to ask in case sometime is going on with her.

She also lays her one egg a day like clock work, so hopefully it's nothing but me being worried about her. :)

When exactly did she last lay an egg?
Does she lay oversized eggs?
Do you have a rooster that is rough on her?
She lays an egg daily like her sisters and not oversized from the other eggs. I have a new Rooster with the girls, but have not noticed any over aggressive mating between them. Then again, I am not out there 24-7 to watch them.

Back
Top Bottom