'Up' dated the ChickNBarn today...**PICS ADDED

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by arlee453, Feb 9, 2008.

1. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    For anyone who was watching the ChickNCam today, you got to watch me and kids and hubby working on the Chick-N-Barn/Silkie/Growout pen today.

I needed to clean out the little barn and in the process made my mind up that it NEEDED to be raised up off the ground for ease of cleaning and sanitation. It was getting to the point where I could smell that coop...not good!

Anyway, I cut posts and raised up the barn on a frame and then built a ramp and reworked the little pen that came with the barn. I'm fairly pleased with it - now I can clean out under the barn (I already had wire bottom panels made for a floor) and it will get good air circulation to cut down on the build up of wet droppings.

I'll grab some pics tomorrow if I get a chance and post, or check out the webcam (link below - during daylight eastern US time hours) to see it. It got too dark for pics by the time I finished up the last of the wire.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    [​IMG]

(I've been waiting to use this!) [​IMG]

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

4. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Now for the pics....took a while because we were out at my hubby's friend's farm today picking up our PEAFOWL...but that's another thread [​IMG]

The chicks can't figure out their ramp, BTW - we had to put them all to bed tonight, but figure eventually they'll get the hang of it...

The before:

[​IMG]

The after - I raised up the ChickNBarn on approx 2' post/frame, reused the top of the pen as a sloping top and then used chicken wire to cover in the gaps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really like this better - I think the ChickNBarn will last a lot longer getting it up off the ground, and it sure will be a lot easier to keep it clean! Hopefully the chickens will get the hang of it soon...

5. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    That looks great, Arlee! I'm a big fan of raising coops too. Congrats!

6. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Looks Good!

arlee453

how many chickens can you keep in there?

7. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    aww its cute

8. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    How many to keep in there...?

Well, right now I have too many! I got it originally thinking I'd keep my 8 standards in there, but they outgrew it pretty quickly.

Right now it's home to 14 seven week old standards and 9 silkies. They do have an 8x8 ft pen also.

I'll keep the silkies in there and it will be plenty roomy for the ones who end up staying long term.

The other standards (BRs and BOs) will go out with the big girls once they are a bit bigger and can hold their own.

I think it's a fine size for the 9 silkies since they have the larger pen to run around in and only use the barn for sleeping.

I'd keep maybe 4 standards in there tops, especially if they ONLY had the barn and attached run. Maybe up to 6 if they had a larger run attached than the one that came with it, OR were able to free range.

AND, I added an additional roost too.

9. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Thanks for your input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by