1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Up the ladder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tlco, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Tlco

Tlco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2016
    Buffalo tx
    [​IMG]

How long will it take for these guys to go up the ladder into the roost for the night? I have been going out right before dark and putting them in the roosting area and closing the door up there for the night. They come out on their own when i go out in morn and open the door but don't go up at dark..the just snuggle all together in a corner of the pen. I have watched a couple of the older ones fly up on the perches and even go up the ladder so I know that some of them can....

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    That looks like quite a distance between steps. They may be uneasy as they'd almost have to hop between rungs. They also might not like that the ladder isn't a solid piece. Just my thoughts. Others may disagree.

3. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I agree with redsoxs, I'd add more rungs so they can easily walk up. I don't think it has to be a solid piece though.

4. Tlco

Tlco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2016
    Buffalo tx
    OK thought of that will see what I can do to fix it..Thanks

5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Instead of a ladder, you can try just a plain branch or stick, not too thick or thin. They can climb something like that more easily since it's a solid surface for their feet to grip.

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yeah, make it a solid surface with rungs to grip as they are walking up...Even my hens would probably decide to stay outside...

Small changes always help....
    Best of luck!

7. Tlco

Tlco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2016
    Buffalo tx
    [​IMG]
    after all my worries canes home from work to find this....everybody up in coop...loo[​IMG]

8. chickens really

Congrats....Big Girls!!!

9. Tlco

Tlco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2016
    Buffalo tx
    Well back stepping,,I heard the most loudest peeping ever from chicken coop thought oh my God something's in there after my baby ran out to check. the older girls three of them we're up in the loft four littlest ones we're having a fit because they couldn't find the older girls once everyone was together in the top they got quiet and went to sleep. guess I'll keep putting the babies in at night just to make sure they're safe till they can go up the ladder on their own was gonna fix ladder today but when they all went up in left today figured they were doing ok..will work on ladder in morming...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  10. chickens really

HaHa! Just breath....Just Chicks....They will be fine, as will you!

Cheers too Chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by