Up-to-Date Feeds with Animal Protein?

mooreavians

Chirping
Dec 30, 2017
Hey all! I've been researching chickens for years now, and while I've never posted on the forum before I'm in need of some up-to-date answers when it comes to chicken feed. What are the best CURRENT chicken feeds with animal protein? Which ones are the highest quality, and which have the most "bang for your buck"?

I've done a lot of google searches and read a lot of threads on the forum already, but many of them are out of date and as feed companies change formulas I'm finding out that most of the recommended feeds have switched to all vegetarian ingredients. I know chickens are omnivores with ravenous appetites for animal protein, so I think it's important to provide it. The only feed I can find so far is Nutrena Country Feed, apparently they might have animal byproducts in their ingredients but I don't know if that's true anymore or if that is a quality feed in general. There are others too, but they're not offered locally. I'm in south-eastern PA if it helps, if anyone knows of better local feed brands.

I'm also wondering how much protein can be supplemented into their diets, to help make up for a lack of quality animal proteins in their feed. I already keep and breed my own roaches for my geckos and tarantulas, and in the future I'll likely culture mealworms, superworms, and black soldier fly larvae. How often can these be given to chickens? And what about eggs/meat scraps? Is that safe? When supplementing with live protein and meats, is it possible to overdo their protein levels? I hear a lot of controversy like higher protein leading to organ failure, and tons of people also saying it's fine. It's all very confusing and if anyone can clear any of these questions up for me, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance, and if there's another recent thread discussing this, I apologize! I looked hard to make sure I'm not repeating anyone who's posted recently. Most of the threads are very old and dead so I thought a new one would be best.

I also see that feeds available here in the Lansing, Michigan area don't include meats or animal parts. However, they all include the essential amino acids that chickens need. I feed Purina Flock Raiser, 20% protein, a very nice diet for chickens of all ages, with oyster shell on the side. I don't add anything, really. The birds free range when there's not a lot of snow (like now!), and get some scratch grains as treats, and some table food. They catch bugs and stuff, but not in the snow, and do fine all year.
You can overdo additions to an already balanced diet!
It's also more cost effective to buy a good feed, rather than adding lots of actually more expensive suppliments, of questionable value.
I'm also happy to do the easy thing, rather than making extra, unnecessary work for myself.
Mary

Okay! This is really helpful, thank you!
I've heard that purina can be a dodgy brand though. Why is that? Some people swear by it and others hate it. Is there a reason why?

Personally I'm not against a more complicated or extra effort approach, so long as it's not harmful to them. My own pet geckos and invertebrates eat way better than I do, for example, and it really shows. You're right though and I really don't want to overdo anything if it'll hinder instead of help. Thank you for your input, and I'll read more into that brand for sure!

There's nearly no actual detailed nutritional information about your exotic pets, compared to what's known about poultry nutrition! It's been studied for maximum results for many years, so that bag of feed from a good supplier should be balanced to the max!
There's no way a small flock owner can make a balanced ration for chickens for anywhere close to the cost of a bag from the feed store. You might find a totally different product where you live, so see what's available locally. Always look at the mill date on each bag, so you can use it up within six weeks or so of manufacture.
Some people want an organic feed, or something with specific ingredients, or no corn, or whatever. As long as it's a complete feed, it should be fine.
I don't feed layer, because I do want the higher protein and lower calcium in the all- flock feed. Oyster shell on the side for the laying hens.
Some people have good results with feed from a local feed mill, but that's not how it worked out here.
Mary

While I do agree in comparison that poultry have more research poured into them, being an incredibly important livestock for hundreds of years, I still don't think that all diets out there for any animal are guaranteed to be good. If cats and dogs of all things still have plenty of bottom-of-the-barrel rainbow colored filler diets sold for them, then I guarantee not all chickens are fed equally either.

I guarantee people may disagree, and that's ok! If whatever works for them is keeping their animals healthy and alright. The animal's health and wellbeing matters the most, and I firmly believe that a large part of that is in tailoring your husbandry to match that species individual needs. With chickens, the research is there just as you said, and plenty of other people can attest that they are omnivores through and through. That means plant and animal protein is a part of their complete diet, and I think it's important as chicken keepers to make sure it's a solid part of their diet, be it through their per-prepared feed or foraging for insects/etc.

What you said about the average person not being able to create a balanced diet on their own, that's what I absolutely agree with. It's exactly why I'm hoping to find a feed that's already balanced and healthy but also includes the animal protein. That way there's no guesswork, right? Even if they can forage for their own, it would be easiest and safest to just find a feed that has it all, but it's been a nightmare trying to find that. Damn vegetarian craze has set aside the fact that these animals are absolutely not vegans, and so many feed companies have changed formulas to meet it or to cut back on cost, it's so hard to find non-vegetarian feeds.

I hope this explains my intentions farther, and why I'm asking what I am. I really appreciate you clearing some things up though! At least now I know that it'll be best to just find a good feed with what I'm looking for already balanced in instead of trying to supplement it all in myself. Easier and safer for everyone. I'll keep looking then, and if anyone else knows of any proper non-vegetarian feed let me know! :D

Feeds formulated for the chicken fancy must first catch the fancy of the people who raise fancy chickens. This means that you'll lind a lot of ingredients whose only reason for being in chicken feed is to trick the chickens' owners into plopping down good money for an inferior product. So some of us watch the Oprah Show and get the absurd notion that Vegetarianism will make you live forever, and you force that belief onto the poor dumb animals in your care. That my friends is "Animal Abuse" There are also several highly processed animal proteins in chicken food flying by fictitious names to hide the fact that these ingredients are in fact animal based. ALL strictly Vegetarian chicken feeds are missing important Vitamins.

The only feeds with animal protein I can get here are a local organic soy free mash with fish meal, Scratch & Peck with fish meal or special order Mazuri game bird feed with fish meal. All Purina regular game bird feed went animal protein free here a few years ago. It is very tough for some of us to get animal protein & it is frustrating!

Ah, I never even thought about how it effects shelf life, that's a good point...between cost, shelf life, and the trend of vegetarian chicken care, it makes sense that most of the big wigs would change to vegetable protein only.

The good news is I know when I can get chickens we'll probably be in a similar area to where we are now. Here it's one or the other: big city and pollution, or horse and buggies and farms all the way down. We have plenty of local feed stores but the main one is Purina affiliated. There are local farms that grow and buy in hay and sell it right off their farm, so I wouldn't doubt that there are mills or local people making other kinds of feed too. I'll remember that and look around the area, especially when it's closer to when I can actually get chickens.

Also @Cindy in PA! This was so lucky, oh my goodness. You said that you get a local source, yeah? I've never been to Fleetwood, but we're actually an hour's drive out! What do you happen to use, and where do you get it from?

Back
Top Bottom