Upcoming first winter with my chickens...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Musco, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Musco

Musco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    This winter will be our first with our flock. As of right now we are decently prepared and are actively improving conditions but what might we be missing/overlooking?? Our set up is 2 baby barns (chickens) and 4 medium sized coops ( 2 chickens/2 ducks). Any advice will help. Thanks.

2. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

You don't say where you are or how cold it is likely to get but for me, in Canada, a heated base for the water supply helps immensely.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  3. Musco

Musco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    we're on the east coast of Canada... it could be rough... we picked up the heated water jugs and multiple heat lamps. Last winter we got an abundance of snow but that means its not as cold, which is somewhat good.

4. Musco

Musco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    basically we get anywhere from +5 to -25 weather from December to April.

5. BarnGoddess01

Canadian winters can be tough but in my experience, with just a little help from us, chickens are tougher!!

The only other thing that comes to mind immediately - if you have boys with prominent combs. They don't fare well in temps below freezing. I've always used a heat lamp because I can but others suggest vaseline on the comb.

My BIGGEST issue has been with airbourne predators. Chickens move slowly in snow - if at all. Hawks have a field day. I am now reluctant to let mine out during snowy periods. Lesson learned the hard way. [​IMG]

6. Musco

Musco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    how often should I apply the vaseline? we have alot of combs... we have 2 hawk nest around the neighborhood but we never really noticed them being around but i'll keep that in mind...

7. BarnGoddess01

I've never done the vaseline thing because I turn on the heat. [​IMG] Hopefully someone else will volunteer an opinion on that one.

My birds are fine free-ranging when the ground is clear. Hawks may try but the chickens can defend themselves if you give them the means. Snow, however, REALLY slows them down. When the snow flies, let them out late in the day when you can be around to supervise. Hawks are not keen on humans.

8. Musco

Musco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    Thanks a lot for the advice on this too, you've been a great help today.

9. BarnGoddess01

My pleasure! Enjoy your chickens!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by