Upcoming Heat Wave - Where to keep 4 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sactown Chickens, May 12, 2009.

1. Sactown Chickens

Sactown Chickens Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    I just checked the upcoming weather report for the weekend and it is predicted to be between 101 and 105 in my area. This is a huge jump in temp and I am concerned about my chicks ability to acclimate to it so quickly. I've got them housed in a brooder which is in my garage. Even with the heat lamp off it's going to be quite hot in there. Should I go to the trouble of temporarily moving them inside where there is AC? If I wanted to keep them in their current location would a fan generate enough air circulation without ending up being too drafty? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!

What do you think the temp will be in the garage without the heat lamp? If it "only" gets to 80 or 90, they should be ok.

However, I would buy some vitamins/electrolytes to put in their water. You should do this whenever the chickens will under stress, such as rapid change in temps (up or down), moving to the coop, adding other chickens, etc.

Good Luck!!!

Cindy

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  3. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    With warmer weather here you should be able to move them to their outside coop. Otherwise i would keep air moving and make sure they have lots of water available at all times. Good Luck

4. rachel

rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    How old are your chicks? We've got the same weather here in Phoenix and I keep chicks in the garage, but my garage is well-insulated and doesn't get above 90. I guess if you notice them panting excessively you should move them to the house, you might want to anyway if you aren't at home all the time, because going and checking on the temp to see if you should have the light on or off can be a bit of a pain, if they were in the house you could have it set to where it should be and be a little more relaxed.

5. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh great! That's just perfect!! I hadn't heard about this little heatwave and I've got eggs coming in the mail!!! Rats!

Oh, um, about your question - The poultry farms around here use big fans to keep their houses cool. I've done some research on that since our temps are really nasty in the summer and, from the research I've read, circulation is the most important thing. Maybe you can run a fan in your garage and watch the chicks for signs of stress? If they start panting too much, you could always move them indoors.

I guess I'd better go check the weather. . .

Good luck with your babies. [​IMG]

6. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Ive had mine out in the coop the last 3 weeks...their bout 7 weeks old. Temp out here has been greater than 105 for the last 2 weeks and I havent had any problems...just keep lots of water available

7. Sactown Chickens

Sactown Chickens Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Quote:Thanks for the advice about the fans. I was thinking that might just do it. A few years ago I had to tour a large commercial poultry farm as part of my job as a land use planner and I remembered the very large fans that were installed on all of the buildings. I will definitely be checking in on them throughout the day and will be prepared to bring them in if I see panting etc.

Hubby and I just aren't good carpenters. That coop is taking much too long to complete or I would be prepared to put them outdoors. We'll be out finishing the roof tonight after coming home from our day jobs. Then it's on to hardward cloth...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by