Upcoming summer Heat

katies19

In the Brooder
Aug 31, 2016
My babies seem to be getting a little hot already (all hiding in whatever shade they find) and I was thinking of getting a mini personal A/C device (the kind thats no bigger than a cellphone) or mini fan to put in the coop to give them a cool spot.
Has anyone done this and have suggestions on what type of fan or device to use.

Thanks!

Depending on how your coop is made...a fan works well. I place a "weather resistant" box fan in one of my windows - making sure it's sheltered from direct rain (makeshift cover over it). It also has a thermostat I can set, so it will auto shut off when temps drop below a certain point (In the NC we can have high 90s during the day and it drop to the 40s at night). It does help circulate the air keeping some of the flying critters at bay as well, which is a plus.

I also have fan(s) that blow across the run (covered) this helps circulate air as well - my hens do tend to stay in the air flow areas on hot humid days.

A few other things - keep water cool (freeze come blocks of water or water bottles to place in your water founts), give some frozen treats in the afternoon (watermelon, cucumber, etc).

Just my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom