Upcycled Nesting Boxes - Question

cfbandme

Chirping
Apr 24, 2018
N. Central Iowa
Hi There!! We are new to chicken keeping and I'm wanting to use upcycled cat litter containers (the yellow plastic with a lid) as nesting boxes. We are getting 6 RIR and 6 BO - will the containers be large enough for these girls to nest in? I don't want to use something they won't be comfortable in and thus not use. Thanks!

I use two white plastic Rubbermaid “ dishpans” with one long end cut out like a smile for easy entry and an old cat litter box which already has a lowered lip. They work great.
All are easy to squirt with dish soap and hose out.

I guess it depends on which size kitty litter container you are referring too. If you are planning on using them in the upright position and they have an almost square bottom I think it’d be too snug unless you have itty-bitties like silkies.
Sideways might work though.
Another thing to consider depending on where you live, is heat.
Might be cramped and stuffy and they won’t go in if they aren’t comfortable. Lots of Hens are like the kid’s story of the princess and the pea!

These are the exact litter containers we have. I’d like to use them just as the photo - but if RIR and BO are extra large girls I’m afraid they won’t have enough space to nest.

Attachments

• 87EF188A-6F8A-42FF-B8D5-561F07669D98.jpeg
    87EF188A-6F8A-42FF-B8D5-561F07669D98.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 8
Ehhh...I don't care for bucket nests, they are usually too small for comfort,
tho folks have used them with success.
They'll need to be stable and have perches out front.
General minimum recommendation for nest is 12x12x12.
Mine are 14x14x16.
Did you know a chicken actually stands up as the egg emerges from the vent?
Do head room is important and figure in the bedding depth in that height.

Cat litter buckets are too small for RIR's unless you cut the side off so it is open topped. I don't care for all the putube videos of nest boxes made from inappropriate materials just for profit. There is so many putube videos that outright lie it ain't funny.

Roll Out Nest Box Mk3 plans.

JT

Back
Top Bottom