Update 04/04 new pics!! First time for everything!! Incubator pic.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Chikndinner, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Chikndinner

Chikndinner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Hello. Not new to chickens but I am new to quail. I have set 39 jumbo coturnix eggs currently on day 5 in my goofy little homemade incubator. I have been searching and reading all of the informational threads for tips.

The top glass of this incubator is double pane and it was originally a homemade lab incubator. I have it set up with 2 bulbs. One bulb is on all the time and the other cycles. there is a glass wall between the bulbs and the eggs. I also added a fan and thermostat. There are vent plugs to fill the water and I turn them by sliding the cardboard under the eggs back and forth with a string attached, and the turner is removeable for hatching. I rarely have to open the bator for anything. My temp cycles from 101.1 to about 98.6.

I am hoping for a 50% hatch from the shipped eggs. If I get any on my first batch I will be happy. If I get more than 18 I will have too many but I will deal....LOL

The clear view from the top should be fun when they start to hatch. Wish me some good hatch luck!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  2. Ga.chickenman

Ga.chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Vidalia
    Good Luck !!!

3. PortugalBreeder

PortugalBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Good luck.

4. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Wishing you good luck with your hatch.

5. Colinus Ruckus

Colinus Ruckus Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2011
    Western NC
    Clever design. I like the sliding cardboard bit. Best of luck to you!

6. Chikndinner

Sep 9, 2010
    The cardboard was an idea I got from the chicken side. Thanks for the well wishes.

7. Chikndinner

Sep 9, 2010
    Day 14. I threw out 14 clear glowing eggs at day 12. 25 remaining dark eggs went back into the incubator. Thes eggs were shipped.

Last night and today I have seen at least 4 different eggs wiggling and rocking. I bumped the humidity up to 60% and When I lock down tomorrow I'm going to try to get it higher.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  8. Chikndinner

Sep 9, 2010
    Day 16.....humidity is up to 68% and I have 6 pips so far. Hoping for some to be out by morning before I have to work for 12 hours:rolleyes:

9. PortugalBreeder

PortugalBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Good luck again, I will be waiting for news.

10. Chikndinner

Sep 9, 2010
    Day 17. 12 are out!!! so far so good. The 1/2 protective wire in the bator has to be replaced with something else. It is the perfect size for them to get their little heads stuck in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by