1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

UPDATE: 1 Week Pictures, and a new little Araucana

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PDXChickenChaser, Jul 20, 2007.

1. PDXChickenChaser

PDXChickenChaser Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    Hello Everyone! I've been lurking on the forum for a bit and am very appreciative of all of the advice I've gleaned from others questions, and now I have one of my own.

I've just embarked on my first chicken keeping adventure and picked up a couple pullets from the feed store, a Barred Plymouth Rock, and a Gold Laced Wyandotte. First, some pictures:

The GLW (We're Calling her Lacey Lady):
    [​IMG]

and the BR (We're calling her the Werechicken, but perhaps will change it to Lady Werechicken so she doesn't get jealous of Lacey's fancy name):
    [​IMG]

The ladies are just 2 days old, but they're worrying us by pecking at EVERYTHING. Especially the Barred Rock, who will even jump up in the air so she can peck at her reflection in the glass of the feeder or waterer. Unless she's sleepy, she pecks at the side of the brooder, the jar part of the feeder or waterer, the other chick, and sometimes even her own feet! She'll even peck at fingers and arms when she's held.

The two of them share a space thats about 12" x 16", minus whatever the feeder and waterer take up, and there is a light shining into one of the corners that keeps it about 95 deg F in the warmest part of the brooder box. Is this a space issue? Are they just bored? I plan to upgrade them to a larger brooder in a few days when I get a third chick (an Araucana, or at least what passes for one at the feed store [​IMG] ), and I'd like to do whatever I can to make sure they all get along!

What can I do?

- James

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    That is how they explore by pecking at things. Mine did the samething when they were just days old. Congrats on your new babies and great names. Welcome to the board.

3. PDXChickenChaser

Jul 20, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks Poison Ivy [​IMG]

I figured they were just exploring, but the picking of each others toes, vents, and feathers made me nervous...I'll look the other way for a few days and hopefully they'll calm down, hehe.

4. Cheeks

Cheeks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    Ohio
    yeah, my girls used to peck everything also. i think its a baby thing. haha

they still sometimes peck at toes. they look too much like little worms for them to be left alone.

5. PDXChickenChaser

Jul 20, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    Well, you guys were right, after a few days they stopped picking on each other [​IMG] I guess they finially were done exploring their brooder mates. Its been one week so I figured I should post some new pictures! Also, we just picked up an araucana, which brings us up to 3 chickens (the limit here in Portland without a permit). She's just a day old, and we haven't named her yet.

Lacey (the GLW)
    [​IMG]

Lady (the BR)
    [​IMG]

And our little Araucana
    [​IMG]

- James

6. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Oh sooo cute!! Congrats on your babies! I just got my first ones this week too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by