1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

UPDATE (11 hatched) pg. 2 HELP!!! I have PEEPING, wayyy too early

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by babyboy1_mom, May 23, 2008.

1. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I have 23 runner duck eggs in the bator. They are not due to hatch until Wednesday, the 28th. I just went and turned them (by hand) and they are peeping at me. I had planned on putting them in an egg carton.

1. Should I go ahead and up the humidity now?

2. Should I go ahead and put them in the carton and stop turning now?

What should I do. My temp had been steady, 100.5 - 101.5. I did not notice any pips yet, but kind of freaked out when I heard peeping this early. Someone please give me your input on what I should do. My last clutch of runner eggs hatched 1 & 2 days early. I bought a new thermometer, because some said that it must be wrong. I know that when I candled last night, the eggs were pretty full, but that is normal at this stage of development. They still have 5 days before due date.

Dorothy

Thanks for advice & input in advance.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  2. moms_pantry

moms_pantry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    I hope everything goes well for you. I have duck eggs in my bator now. They are due to hatch on June 2. I hope they don't peep 5 days early. DH won't know what to do while I am out of town.

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    They're going to need the humidity to hatch... if they're peeping, they're ready to hatch. Keep the temps steady, but get the humidity up. It won't hurt the others that may be a little farther behind.
    Congratulations!

4. babyboy1_mom

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Thanks, Mrs. AK. I am a nervous wreck...lol I wasn't exspecting anything to happen for another couple of days. This is sooo exciting. I am in for a long night.

Dorothy

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    LOL! Go take a nap, and come back in a couple of hours... a watched egg never pips! [​IMG]

Congratulations! It's always a nice surprise when they're early.

6. babyboy1_mom

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I like nice surprises, but 5 days early is a little scary...lol I was turning the eggs and one started peeping at me, while in my hand and it scared me so bad that I almost dropped the egg...lol I kind of freaked out for a moment....lol

Dorothy

7. talos321

talos321 Chillin' With My Peeps

I wish much good luck on your duckies! I'm waiting to hear how they do.

8. babyboy1_mom

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Thank you talos321. I will keep everyone informed. I just posted to your thread, while you were posting to mine...lol

Dorothy

9. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    << I was turning the eggs and one started peeping at me, while in my hand and it scared me so bad that I almost dropped the egg...>>

LOL!! I can picture that. My first ever chicken hatch was done two days before the day they were due. All went well.

10. babyboy1_mom

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    yotetrapper, glad that all went well with your hatch. I am still waiting. I went ahead and turned them this morning and still had no pips. I still had peeping though. My 3 yr old was so fasicinated. He wanted to sit and listen to them all morning...lol

Dorothy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by