UPDATE 17 wks, pg 2- Breed/Sex help? 14wk- Welsummers?BR?RIR?

TeaKettleK

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 24, 2009
Ohio
Those are my guesses anyway.
tongue.png
I was expecting more comb by now, which had me silly, thinkin' I had 26 pullets. LOL There seem to be a few whose combs are a little more pronounced and a touch redder, all look to me to be single. All the chickies seem very curious and friendly, none seem to 'posture' at me or anything... So after 40-leven pics, these are the 3 best guesses for cockerels. Are these the right breeds? These babies gonna be crowin' in the next month or two?
14wk Barred Rock Cockerel? (with a cute lil' BO pullet that popped up as I snapped
tongue.png
)
39854_barredrockcockerel1.jpg

14wk RIR?
39854_rircockerel1.jpg

14wk PLEASE tell me it's a Welsummer??
big_smile.png

39854_welsummercockerel1.jpg

Last edited:
Your guesses sound good to me... though I almost wonder if the middle isn't light enough to be NHR instead of RIR...

But, I'm a total dweeb that doesn't even have chickens yet so feel free to ignore me.

Whatever they are they're gorgeous!
smile.png

Quote:
They were supposed to be a straight run of brown egg layers... If these 3 most impressive combs are pullets, we lucked out and will soon be swimming in eggs! (YAY!!!) But the brown egg laying would rule out leghorn, right? IF the hatchery stuck to that, which I'm not betting on. LOL

If it is a brown Leghorn, they would lay white eggs and white earlobes and big combs. I do not see that in her due to the angle of her head. So I am not able to definately tell you what she is yet.

Barred Rock, and New Hampshire or Production Reds are what I see in the other photos.

Thanks everyone!!
big_smile.png

In a couple of the other pictures, it does look like there's a touch of white on #3's ears... but I can't tell if it is just funny flash or what. None of the combs are very big...

Back
Top Bottom