1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

UPDATE 17 wks, pg 2- Breed/Sex help? 14wk- Welsummers?BR?RIR?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TeaKettleK, Jan 11, 2010.

1. TeaKettleK

TeaKettleK Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    Ohio
    Those are my guesses anyway. [​IMG] I was expecting more comb by now, which had me silly, thinkin' I had 26 pullets. LOL There seem to be a few whose combs are a little more pronounced and a touch redder, all look to me to be single. All the chickies seem very curious and friendly, none seem to 'posture' at me or anything... So after 40-leven pics, these are the 3 best guesses for cockerels. Are these the right breeds? These babies gonna be crowin' in the next month or two?
    14wk Barred Rock Cockerel? (with a cute lil' BO pullet that popped up as I snapped [​IMG])
    [​IMG]
    14wk RIR?
    [​IMG]
    14wk PLEASE tell me it's a Welsummer?? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They all look like pullets and the last one could be a light brown leghorn if it has white ears.

3. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Your guesses sound good to me... though I almost wonder if the middle isn't light enough to be NHR instead of RIR...

But, I'm a total dweeb that doesn't even have chickens yet so feel free to ignore me.

Whatever they are they're gorgeous! [​IMG]

4. TeaKettleK

Aug 24, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:They were supposed to be a straight run of brown egg layers... If these 3 most impressive combs are pullets, we lucked out and will soon be swimming in eggs! (YAY!!!) But the brown egg laying would rule out leghorn, right? IF the hatchery stuck to that, which I'm not betting on. LOL

5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    #1 BR hen
    #2 Production Red hen
    #3 Brown Leghorn hen

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If it is a brown Leghorn, they would lay white eggs and white earlobes and big combs. I do not see that in her due to the angle of her head. So I am not able to definately tell you what she is yet.

Barred Rock, and New Hampshire or Production Reds are what I see in the other photos.

7. TeaKettleK

Aug 24, 2009
    Ohio
    Thanks everyone!! [​IMG]

In a couple of the other pictures, it does look like there's a touch of white on #3's ears... but I can't tell if it is just funny flash or what. None of the combs are very big...

8. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:can we have a pic of the earlobes?

9. TeaKettleK

Aug 24, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:These are the ones I thought showed white...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    That looks like a light brown leghorn- now that we've seen the ears. I have one- my only white egg layer. She started early, and is really sweet. You'll be happy with her [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by