Update 18 wks Athena BR x EE cross - Speckledhen related to your flock

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by HorseFeatherz NV, Nov 1, 2009.

1. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Speckledhen, This chick is related to your BR flock; her father is a Barred Rock (eggs from your flocked hatched by Jeaucamom and Chickenthief). The red Cochin (Ruby) is the chick’s broody mom.

These pictures of Athena taken today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cannot say exactly why but I really like this picture – could be because it is the side Athena prefers I view:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not a great picture, but another favorite. It shows her puffy cheeks. I think she controls them and can make them fluffy or not fluffy.
    [​IMG]

She was hatched September 2, 2009 – so will be 9 weeks old on Wednesday the 4th. (I hope she is a she!) She is still being mothered by Ruby, although I saw Ruby peck Athena this morning over food – so the apron strings might be getting thinner.

Here is Athena’s egg Mom Chloe – she is the hen Jeaucamom did crop surgery on. This picture was taken 10/11/09 and she is starting to molt so looks very raggedy. Chloe lays a large beautiful light blue egg.

[​IMG]

I do not have the Roo. Athena’s egg was laid the second day her mother was here. Ruby went broody three days after the group was rehomed here (I was blessed with 3 Large Fowl and 3 Bantams from their flock). When Ruby went broody, I gave her the only fertile eggs I knew I had – Chloe’s. I wish I could have taken the BR Roo also, but I just was not set up for him (not Quarantine wise, hen count, or travel space).

I am very excited to see how Athena grows and feathers out.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

They are beautiful [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thanks for posting pics of Athena! She's Hawkeye's granddaughter, then! That's wonderful. [​IMG] This means we're related!

4. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:seems like it Athena's beautiful [​IMG]

5. HorseFeatherz NV

Surprise, Athena is well still Athena but now proudly displaying Roo gear. Still no crowing or attempts to crow not even throat clearing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. speckledhen

That is the same bird?? Wow. Late bloomer. Very handsome, too!

7. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

8. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Quote:[​IMG] My thoughts EXACTLY!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  9. HorseFeatherz NV

Quote:I know! When the first saddle feather started to poke its pointy tip out, I told myself I was seeing things – that it was one of those “pointy looking EE feathers that are really round” feather. HA

Have you ever heard of a Roo feathered Hen? I know there are some bantam breeds that have Hen feathered Roos so……..what about the reverse – ever heard of it happening? {crazy wishful thinking}

Maybe he would be a good Olive Egger Roo over some EE or Ameraucana hens? [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

You may get some olive egger daughters from him if crossed with a blue egglayer hen and you may get some that lay plain old brown, too, since he's already a cross.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by