Update 3/13 Blood :( - HELP! Flock attacked, 1 injured

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by robomb, Mar 7, 2017.

1. robomb

robomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    Northern Vermont
    [​IMG]
    This is the second time in about 6 months that my flock has been attacked by something. I wasn't sure if it was a dog or a weasel the first time - killed 5 of my 8. It got 4 more, and today again, 5 were found dead in the run. My neighbor saw it, and said it looked like a big coyote, but it had light eyes like a husky. My neighbor scared it off, but it came back and was trying to take a chicken with him.

Here's the big problem, I found one of the hens under the coop and she is clearly injured. Her back is pretty lacerated. I don't know what to do. The one who flew over the stockade fence is safe and now locked in the coop. I put the injured girl in the garage (where they lay eggs) - do I leave her alone or put her in the coop with the other hen? How do I treat it? How much suffering will she endure if I wait it out and do nothing? I feel so helpless. I don't know what to do for her.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  2. MissNutmeg

MissNutmeg Chillin' With My Peeps

The best thing right now is to isolate her. Is her wound bleeding?

3. robomb

Aug 15, 2011
    Northern Vermont
    No, it's not bleeding - just very raw. Should I move her into the dog crate w/food & water? She did not seem interested in either - she seems like she's in shock. Very skittish - trying to run away, but clearly impaired

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  4. MissNutmeg

She is most likely in pain, so I would give her a 1/2 tablet of baby aspirin.

5. robomb

Aug 15, 2011
    Northern Vermont
    That should be interesting - trying to pop it down her throat without hurting her more...

6. MissNutmeg

*and.... dilute the tablet into her drinking water.

7. MissNutmeg

I would use Saline Wound Wash to rinse out the wound.

8. robomb

Aug 15, 2011
    Northern Vermont
    I happen to have Vetericyn spray and saw that it is listed as a safe topical in the BYC medical reference section. I discovered that I do not have aspirin in the house - unfortunately I have a dog training tonight and need to leave soon, but I will pick up the baby aspirin and dissolve in water for her. I half expect to find her dead each time I go to check. :'(

9. robomb

Aug 15, 2011
    Northern Vermont
    Should I bring her in the house? It has been bitterly cold here (Vermont) lately, but tonight will be in the upper 30's. I could put the crate in a spare room that will be about 55 degrees. Don't know if she'll be better off inside where it's a bit warmer (also makes it easier for me to treat her / check on her).

10. MissNutmeg

I would suggest to bring her inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by