Update....A work in progress...Our chicken house is done

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bluemoon420, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

We have an old building on our property that is 160 sq. ft.. It hadn't been used in awhile, but the building is in decent shape. Even has electricity. We think the inside housed every creature, and insect known to mankind.

[​IMG]

It has a dirt floor, so we had to fill groundhog holes, and level the dirt out. We also put hardware cloth down along the bottom, so nothing else can dig inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It does have one panel of a window with a broken glass. The windows will have mesh on the outside, so no critters can get in.

[​IMG]

The framing went up over the weekend. There will be wood boards about 4 high on the bottom, and the rest will be chicken wire.

[​IMG]

A door will open up for cleaning, in the middle here.

[​IMG]

The back corner of this picture will be a brooder box. We have a younger bunch who aren't big enough to mix in with the other chickens. They will have their own section, but they will be able to see other thru the chicken wire. The top will flip open for cleaning.

[​IMG]

The other corner which can't see in that picture will be for storage. The chicken door will be on the left side of the building which will open into an enclosed run. They will free range some of the time, but on days we may not be home they will have their own safe space outside.

So, there it is. A work in progress [​IMG] I'll post more pictures as things get completed. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate some more!

Bluemoon

Here's some updates to our mostly finished chicken house...

Here's the brooder area framed out..

[​IMG]

The door has been made, and hung..

[​IMG]

The chicken wire put up in the brooder area..

We will have access to the brooder area on the other side where storage will be

[​IMG]

Chicken wire put on the rest of the areas..

[​IMG]

And the final results just before we brought out the two groups of our chicken recruits...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We still have to put in our pop door for the chickens, and a few more roosts. I'm just glad we came out early this morning to check on them, and all was well [​IMG]

Bluemoon

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    And just think how much your saving turning that into a chicken/brooder house....

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  3. Bluemoon420

Yep [​IMG] They are currently in seperate brooders in the basement, but see each other. The younger ones are still too small to mix in with the rest, and I figured we mine as well move them all out together. I think they are pretty well acquainted, but I'd rather be safe then sorry.

4. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Tha's really awesome, very nice and big enough for your hens.
    Congrats.

5. Bluemoon420

Thanks [​IMG] We scratched our heads at first, trying to figure out what to do. It's coming out pretty well for just winging it [​IMG]

Bluemoon

6. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Looks great. Wish i was so lucky. I am over crowded and about to have to start building from scratch. Keep up the good work.. P.S. Have you figured out how many chicks you can house there?

7. chickachickadoo

chickachickadoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    That's great! I can't wait to see some more pics!

8. Bluemoon420

The new pics are up [​IMG] We brought out our older grps last night [​IMG]

Bluemoon

9. chickens3

chickens3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Eau Claire, Michigan
    Well that is a nice chicken house for them to stay in

10. Bluemoon420

Quote:Thank you [​IMG]
    It was a little frustrating at times. We had rotted wood on the huge sliding door door that DH found a way to fix. He also found a way to fix the door so that it could not be opened from the bottom. He's a smart guy [​IMG]
    He's still looking for good plans on nest boxes. We didn't want to put them in right away, so they don't use them as beds.

Bluemoon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by