Update! ? about a new roo

candypantsyarns

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Dale, TX
I say "think" because this is all pretty new to me. I have one hen that has separated herself from the group mostly. We mostly free range and she has hidden her nest, and is not going to roost with the others in the coop at night. Is she brooding maybe? I'm in TX, is it too early in the winter for her to have little chicks to care for? Shes a Buff O if that makes a difference. I cannot find her for the life of me, but in the morning she is always on the porch and walks out with me to let out her buddies.

Next question, we lost a roo last week...a neighboring doggie got it. We got a new Roo, and after one day he has vanished...no sign of him. Should we have left him in the coop for a while first? We put him in last night, let them out this am, and came home from church to find him missing. I didn't find any feathers, I don't think he was taken by a predator...any thoughts on why he would just vanish? I'm really hoping he is holding up with my hen that is in hiding.

Update* he came back! I'm so pleased. So now what? Do I lock him up, or wait for the night time routine, and then put him up with the others? Do I still separate him?

Last edited:
She might be broody, but also when you say that she comes in the morning to walk with you to the chicken's coop to let the others out, means that she is not broody, because if she is broody she probaly be sitting on her eggs, so If I was in this situation I will find out where sheis roosting at night first.
About the rooster, he might needed to stay couble more days in the coop to let him know that this coop is now his new home.
I hope he come back in the morning for food.

and by the way welcome to BYC.
welcome-byc.gif

Omran.

She is probably not broody because you see her in the mornings, which means she has a special place that someday soon you will find like 20 eggs or something... As for the roo - was he free ranging when he disappeared? He should be kep seperate from the flock for 4 weeks when you first get him, then plopped in there with them and let the hens battle out their pecking order all over again.....

Update* he came back! I'm so pleased. So now what? Do I lock him up, or wait for the night time routine, and then put him up with the others? Do I still separate him?

I wouldn't separate him, he was just gone for a day... if you took him to a show or fair or he turned up missing for a long period of time, then I would separate him and watch for signs of illness... but a day of exploring, the rest of the flock is going to do this eventually too if they are allowed out of the coup, so its better to stop it before they become dinner or toys for the neighboring wildlife
I'd fence in an area for them to go outside to, make it predator proof so you don't have any unfortunate accidents with dogs or wild things. by fencing the birds in you also are keeping them off your deck, out of your gardens and other places you don't want chicken poop or stuff dug up

good luck with things, glad to see the roo came home
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom