update and have a few more questions???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BarredRockGirls, Mar 9, 2013.

1. BarredRockGirls

BarredRockGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Ohio
    HI !
    i posted yesterday about stressing out chicks.... this is my first time w layers .. forgive me im a total Type A personality lol always a lot of questions

ok so the 2 chicks that i was worried about stressing out yesterday because of Pasty butt seem to be ok today . thank goodness . another one i had to do the same thing to today. :( i moved their waterer and food out from where they usually are to give them more room ...do i need to move the heat lamp up maybe?

also today they seemed more receptive to me - so i tried picking up all of them and holding them all a lil bit . most let me . so im happy about that .. EXCEPT one. she wants NOTHING to do w being touched or picked up . i finally got a hold of her but she HATED it . and after i let her go she dove into a lil huddle to hide. is this normal? or weird ?

and when i closed their cage they all laid down and fell asleep - i think all the excitement wore them out ?
    but some were so relaxed they looked ..... dead.>_< it totally freaks me out! i didnt wanna leave! is this normal?!??? i eventually HAD to leave but im worried ....

[​IMG]

thanks in advance!!!

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You can tell whether they are too warm or cold by how they behave. If they won't sit or sleep under the heat lamp, it's too warm. If they pile on top of one another under the heat lamp, they're too cold. They probably won't all want just the same temperature, so it's a very good idea for them to have enough room to move toward or away from the heat. Don't go by a thermometer, go by their behavior.

I'd count myself lucky (or skillful) to have most of them accept being picked up! The last one may come around, or it may not. It's better to let them come to your hand than to chase them down. Put a little moistened feed on your hand and let them check it out. Try to reach from the side rather than above as much as possible, so you don't set off their bird of prey instinct.

I know just what you mean by looking dead when they fall asleep. They just fall over wherever they are. After you relax a little, it's part of the cuteness!

3. BarredRockGirls

BarredRockGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Ohio
    thank you so much . i have been watching them and i think i will raise it a lil . they are starting to move out from under it and away from it .
    they are 6 days old . is there any treat i can give them ? or are they still too lil ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by