update and need ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pamir, Nov 11, 2011.

1. pamir

pamir Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2011
    we have three red leg horns, an arauna and my little bantam who it seems at least for now is a house bird. The bigger birds would not let her snuggle with them for warmth and it is 28 degrees out there. My problem is that with out forcing them into the hen house,, they will not go in and I am afraid they are going to freeze. Is it ok to put them in the house and then lock the door so to speak. Aslo have any of you kept a chicken in the house? I am asking about the little so very sweet bantam.
    The good news is I did get a dozen beautiful eggs in only 3-4 days!

Thanks for the help
    Angela

2. claudicles

claudicles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    If you put them into the hen house after dark a few days in a row they usually get the idea and start to go in themselves.

3. pamir

pamir Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2011
    Well they got the idea LOL it snowed here today and when I checked on them all four were in the hen house nice and warm. I only have the five (including the little bantam) and only three are big enough to lay and I have gotten 18 big brown eggs this week! Breakfast is gonna be good tomorrow!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by