Update and question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crusting, Oct 25, 2011.

1. crusting

crusting Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2009
    I posted last week asking for opinions on the gender of my two 7-week old chicks. One is a white easter egger and the other is a buff orpington. The answers were pretty much split 50-50 on the easter egger, but everyone thought the orpington was female. Well, this morning the easter egger started crowing up a storm. I am so bummed, as I have to rehome him--no roosters allowed in my town.
    I have two older chickens that are 2 years old, and I've been integrating the younger two successfully with them. They have all been in the same coop and run for about a week and there's no pecking going on at all. The two younger ones and two older ones completely avoid each other, though. When the older ones are outside, the younger ones are inside, and vice-versa.
    I'm trying to figure out what to do with the one younger one to make it easier for her when I remove the easter egger. I have to do it soon because he's making a lot of noise. I'm afraid she will continue avoiding the older hens and will be lonely. Is that a problem? Will she eventually not run away from the older ones? Does anyone have any advice???

2. crusting

Sep 21, 2009
    By the way, the younger ones will be 8 weeks old tomorrow, if that makes any difference...

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    In the "INDEX" section they have "Where am I? Where are you!" You might post looking for a young juvenile to buy for your single chick as a friend and on the same post you need to re-locate your young Roo. Just go to the Where am I? Where are you! section and find your state and post it and hopefully someone close to you may be able to assist you. Good luck

4. crusting

Sep 21, 2009
    Thanks SteveBaz. Do you think I need to buy a friend for her? I'd rather not go down this road again unless necessary. And wouldn't that cause more pecking and problems again, to introduce yet another newbie to the coop?

5. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:Not necessarily true. It need not be hard or painful. Just find a chick that is close to the age and they will get used to each other pretty quick. Buy a more docile girl than the one you have. Like a little Plymouth Rock they were found that this breed is friendlier than other breeds, mine always come running and they imprinted as chicks. My partridge Rock will even let me pick her up; very docile. More active then breeds such as Leghorns, EE, and RIR. They are a hardy breed that can withstand quite a bit. I have also noticed that they also grow bigger, faster than most breeds do. Also great layers of large brown eggs and will sometimes become broody and be great mothers. This is one of my lap chickies they are so tame and loving.

6. crusting

Sep 21, 2009
    Thanks Steve. Problem is it is hard to find a chick at this time of year of that age. All of the stores have stopped selling for the season, and there are not a lot of chicken people around here. I've been looking at craigslist and don't see much. I would rather not replace the other chick....but I can try to find one if I have to for the other one to survive. Are you saying that you think I absolutely need to replace the chick? Is it possible for the 8 week old to integrate and make friends with the 2 year olds eventually?

7. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:Sure it will. Just intro supervised for a bit and let it go. The smaller chicks are smaller and faster than the older ones so it may at times be tough but it will make it. I was just saying if you wanted to replace. It sounded like you said ; it might be lonely thats why. If there is will theres a way. Good luck

8. crusting

Sep 21, 2009
    Thanks Steve. I guess I was wondering if it will eventually integrate more with the older ones and not be afraid of them. And whether being lonely in the meantime will hurt it in any way. There's no pecking or agression going on at all. It's just that the little one runs away from the big ones every time they move into a different part of the coop or run, and it stays there instead of hanging out with them.

9. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    You know I had 6 girls. 2 groups of 3 each. The older ones hung out together and the younger ones I got from the urban store 3 days old hung out. When the kids got bigger 11 weeks later and the other girls were just about to lay bc they were 10 weeks older about 20+ weeks they still hung out in there own little click or group. So my point is your sole chick can get along with the older girls but they will never have 1 group. So to the point, if you want your young hen to have a companion or its own group I would say to go to a local chicken swap or a urban pet farm store and find another little friend that is sexed bc we don't want this happening again. Introduce them separately from the older girls so the can get to know each other even if it takes a few day and it may for them to bond but it will bc they have no other their age to bond with. It would surprise me if they did not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by