***update*** babies-more PICS added

chickenlisa

Invincible Summer
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
I've got 38 eggs in my bator and its the 18th day- I planned on stopping my turner this evening late, and switching them into cartons. My 17 yr old son noticed when we got home from church that 1 of my silkie eggs looked 'broken' but didn't say anything about it to me until a bit ago. it sort of does, but the crack goes around the egg too, So not sure if its a pip and chick starting its way out of the thermometer/hydrometer broke it when the egg was turned. It was fine this morning and has been for 18 days with the device where it was in there. So I'll wait and see. Anyways, there are 2 ducks eggs with definite pip-tiny ones, but the beginning! I spritzed them with water and quickly got them out of the turner and into egg cartons- while putting them into my other bator during the process. We did it quickly and the humidity and temp didn't change much during the whole time...this is nerve wracking and exciting...I know now not to open the bator, but do I still try to spray warm water at all on them, as its early and the other duck eggs might still need it? (remember I put the duck eggs in the bator 1 week before the chicken eggs.)

Agh- Have to go to an away soccer game with my dd-I guess that's good. I told my son tho to not even touch the incubators while I'm gone.

Someone please let me know what to do about the water spraying, and I'll try to put that pic of the silkie egg on later once I'm home, if it hasn't changed that is...

Lisa

Last edited:
well, here is that egg that we noticed first...is this a pip and zip or a broken egg? I don't see anything like membrane or fluff or movement...
May2008misc029.jpg

hoping its just an early silkie/showgirl trying to break free. really don't want any disappointments this close to hatch day...

Can someone please get back to me re the questions in my above post?

Lisa

Well, here is an update- 6 duck eggs have definitely pipped. The ones that started yesterday afternoon have pipped more, while a few started it today. I hear no noise and see no rocking or moving though. The 1 silkie egg hasn't changed, so it may just be broken. Should I do anything with it yet? The humidity has only run high, so I've taken the red vent plug out, for most of the time, and even propped the top up with a pencil for awhile to let some moisture out. It was over 85% and I want it down near 75% I think for the duck eggs to be ok, they seem to be the only ones pipping for now. They are early though, day 26 for them and day 19 for the chicken eggs today. I'll keep watching, but any wisdom sent my way is appreciated.
Thanks
Lisa

8 pipped now! all duck eggs so far, other than that 1 silkie egg. That one hasn't changed at all- nothing moving or oozing out either. Not sure about it. We've heard peeping too! Agh! and seen the shell being pecked at b/c it pokes out and then goes back in some. Too Cute!

well sorry no one replied to you! gosh u guys! :mad:

ive only hatched once so im no expert!

heres a bumperooni for u

Congrats on your pips! I hope the hatch goes well for you.

It looks to me like that silkie egg is just broken...especially if it hasn't made any progress.

1st one is hatching now!!!top is off and baby is trying to get out all the way-so tiny! Blue Swedish baby-yellow chest/black wet feathers....how adorable it is! will post pix soon
Lisa

LOOK!!!!!
May2008hatching016.jpg

FIRST BABY! We have to choose a name! its so strong! it zipped and was out in matter of a few hours this afternoon. 7 more are pipped now.

Lisa

wee.gif
ya.gif
woot.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom