Update: baby deer now in proper hands

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by teeville5, May 14, 2011.

1. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Help! My kids were on the back of our property and came across a baby deer. They found various deer body parts near him so I assume his mother is dead. My kids have wrapped him in a blanket and have been giving him Vitamin D milk. I don't know what to do with the little guy. Does anyone know what I should do, who I should call, or where I should take him? We are in southwest Michigan. Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Call the Game Commission, and they will either take it to a wildlife rehabilitator, or direct you to one. Also, your SPCA might be able to give you info. HTH

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Call your game commission/department of natural resources or any wild life rehabber in the area.

4. codymax2

codymax2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Liverpool, NY
    yea what they said but POST A PIC TOOO!!!! AWWWW!!

5. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

Fawns imprint very easily.For that reason,do not interact more than neccesary. Call the local Wildlife and fisheries dept or Police dept if you need the contact info. It is against the law to have them unless you are liscensed for wildlife rehab. Try this number...they may be able to help. 517-373-1263

6. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    What everyone else said--call a wildlife rehabilitator! Or call around to find the number for one. In the meantime, keep the fawn in a warm, dark, quiet place and don't interact with it. Good for you, rescuing it! A rehabber will know exactly how to raise it so it will be able to live a natural life. [​IMG]

7. teeville5

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Ok, got the number for a local guy through the DNR and called, but he wasn't home yet so I'm waiting for him to return my call.

8. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Quote:[​IMG] I'm glad you got the number! Now just a matter of waiting.

9. teeville5

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    He's a local vet so he'll know what to do for the little guy. And for those who wanted to see a picture, here you go.
    [​IMG]

10. gertiie

gertiie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    I used to work for a Vet clinic and we used to have things like this brought into us all the time. Fawns, baby owls, hawks, and I loved every minute of it !!!
    So adorable !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by