Update bad and good news : he's here!! goat kidding question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by animalgirl2010, Jan 13, 2009.

1. animalgirl2010

animalgirl2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    bootheel of missouri
    Hi I was wondering if all you goat experts could give me a prediction to when these goats will kid last year was my first time with a goat kidding and I had no idea what to expect I stayed with one all night then the next day when I ran to get some food when I got back they were here. They look like they are getting pretty close to me but I need some advice. Also it is getting colder here and is suppose to be 7 degrees on friday should I fix a heat lamp in the barn or will it being dry and draft free enough? Thanks in advance:)
    1st goat I couldnt get a picture from the top of her because she is skiddish and I didnt want to stress her.
    [​IMG]

2nd goat
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    She looks close. When was she bred?

I wouldnt use a heat lamp once the kids are dry. I'd confine them to a small pen (4 X 4) with deep, dry straw, and no drafts.
    They will be fine that way.

Good luck!

3. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    I don't use heat lamps either. I will have alot of does kid out very soon also and I just leave regular lights in their kidding pens for a few days while they are put up. Then out they go into the pasture with their mommas.

She does look close.

They really hollow out right before kidding. I don't see that on her from that top pick, but there is alot of hair there....lol...so can't really tell.

Be on your toes, kids could be coming soon!

Post a pic when they are here!!

4. Thunderhill

Thunderhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    North Alabama
    First goat looks pretty close....second one too but she is not dropped as much as the first one.

5. animalgirl2010

animalgirl2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    bootheel of missouri
    thanks. I was thinking the first goat looked like she would go sooner too. It is her first time the second one had twins last year. I wrote down when we bred both of them but of course now I cant seem to find where I put it. In the future I plan on putting it on the computer so I cant really misplace it. lol I will definitely post pics when the babies get here. thanks:)

6. FarmerChick

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    I put all breeding dates on the calender.....the month they are bred.....then I skip forward 5 months and put approx. kidding time on the calender.

I then easily see when to expect kids shortly.

7. Madfarmer

Madfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2008
    Alvin, TX
    I've been watching posts on another forum specific to goats. It's relatively easy to induce labor in goats, provided you know PRECISELY when they were bred. You give them the shot, 36 hours later they kid. No running back & forth to the barn all night.

Madfarmer

8. FarmerChick

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    I wouldn't do that....just me, I let nature do it.

9. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    madfarmer. Do you have the link for the other goat forum.That you mentioned. Just for goats:D

10. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by