1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

UPDATE: Bantam Blue Orpingtons (Pics Added!)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by marie_martin, May 8, 2008.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I am on day 8 with the 11 buff bantam ameraucanas and now I am adding 8 bantam cochins from tiffany (barnyard) and 7 blue bantam orpingtons from kingscalls.

So my bator is pretty full now.

Marie

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  2. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I hope you have a great hatch!

3. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Thanks girl. You too!

Marie

4. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    I have a Bantam Cochin who just hatched out 6 chicks 5 days ago, and they are CUTE. Mommy hen is great, already teaching them to eat bugs & leaves, dust bathe and everything. The chicks are TINY though!

5. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Well I am use to tiny. I have all bantams and some are seramas. So if I had a full size chick I would not know what to do, lol. I am loving the cochins I have hatched. My oldest are about 7-8 weeks old and they are not near as skittish as some of the silkies and the faverolles. I can tell they are going to be very friendly already. I have two different age groups in the cochins already. The 7 week olds and then some 2 week old babies. So by the time these hatch maybe I will have enough.

If anyone has any of the breeds I have, you are welcome to post pics of the chicks or birds to keep me going until hatch time.

I have silkies of course, and serama, bantam faverolle, bantam cochin, then the eggs are bantam buff ameraucana and bantam blue orpingtons and more cochins.

Thanks everyone. Will keep you posted.

Marie

6. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Yay marie! I can't wait to see the orps!

7. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I know. I can't wait either. I am a bit sad that I have taken 13 of the 20 buff ameraucana eggs out though. No progress at all. But the remaining 7 look great so far. Keep your fingers crossed. Maybe the orpingtons and cochins will do better. You just never know.

I will keep you posted. Sorry again about your eggs?

Marie

8. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    More sad news. None of the bantam cochins made it. Guess there was a lot of mail the week I got all these eggs and the PO was really rough with them? So far the orpingtons seem to be ok but some look to have loose air sacs. Will update again later, but I am very sad.

Marie

9. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I went ahead and candled again and took out two of the blue bantam orpingtons that had blood rings. The other 4 look ok for now and are on day 8. I still have 7 ameraucanas on day 16 today too. Keep your fingers crossed that I don't have any more trouble.

Marie

10. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I'm crossing my fingers for you marie! I have a bunch of eggs in again as well on day 4 or 5. I have bantams: silkies, wyandottes, d'uccles, japs, cochins. I also ave some LF EEs under a broody and in the bator. I have never had a LF chick, so it should be interesting! I'm hoping that I can give the mama hen all of the EE chicks so that I don't have giants in the brooder. Keep us posted on your progress!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by