UPDATE: BBS Orps and Sal Fav hatch (pics pg 3)

farmergal

Songster
11 Years
Jul 21, 2008
Nor Cal
This morning, one of the chicks expanded the pip to a half-dime-sized hole. The chick has been sitting there for 12 hours with this large-ish hole... beak moving, so I know she's alive, but hasn't made any progress. She sometimes seems to "attempt" to -- that is, move her beak back and forth... but I'm worried maybe she can't turn around to zip or something.

I'm also worried that after 12 hours with a hole, the inside of the egg is drying out and she's not going to make it. I don't want to lose her (especially looking at her sad, tiny little trapped beak all day) BUT I don't want to compromise the remaining un-pipped eggs.

My fiancee has suggested trying to assist using a clothes hanger or other long implement, manipulated through the vent hole. (It sounds crazy but he's really steady with his hands.) What do you think?? Can a chick like this still make it?? Please help! I'm a way-too-nervous mama, and of these 10 eggs (technically "due" tonight), only 6 have pipped. Of those, 4 have hatched. Every little baby counts!

Here's a pic of the "mis-pip":

13464_chickmispip.jpg

any advice/words of reassurance/words of warning appreciated.
-Lynda

ETA: MERRY CHRISTMAS! I almost forgot to say that, in my worry over the little chickie.

Last edited:
Well, if you intervene will you have a problem with the other eggs in the bator ? Sometimes a chick just is too big or has a problem getting out. Many times they are just sitting there absorbing thier yolk sac before they make the final move. Just watch it carefully and if you have to intervene pull the egg out quickly and help the chick out. Put it in the brooder.

I'd say after 18 hours you should probably pull it out and help it a little, put water on the area with a paper towel... don't drown it... put it back in quickly.

It's been 24 hours since making this hole and the little guy hasn't done anything else (but is still moving). Should I take it out and help it out? I don't want to risk damaging the other eggs / changing the humidity too much...

Hi farmergal,

I wouldn't try to open it up via the vent hole. As steady as his hands may be, if it starts to bleed he won't be able to apply pressure or move to another area and you could have complications and the chick could bleed to death.

If there is bleeding you'd have to stop because that means the bird hasn't absorbed the yolk sac and it needs more time.

At any rate, there is a wonderful "sticky" at the top of this forums page and in it there is a link to what you need to do if intervention is called for.

There is really good info in it. I'd suggest you read it and then decide what to do from there.

Good luck!

PnP

thanks for the advice. I read both those stickies but I'm still on the fence... I don't want to risk the other eggs... but I'm having a REALLY hard time letting this one die when I think I could save it! Maybe I could crack open the bator really quickly with a hot wet towel covering the gap, reach in and grab the egg, and not disturb the hum/temp too much?

If you're really worried about the humidity you can put in a wet paper towel at the same time as you're taking out the egg. I take eggs out to help occasionally and don't worry about it...here in FL the humidity is through the roof! If you just crack it for a second it won't lose enough humidity to hurt anything.

If it was me, I would get the baby out and help it. As long as it has been, it is most likely NOT getting out without help and it WILL die. Grab quick and you should be alright. When I have had to help a baby I have held the egg I am helping in a damp cloth while I work, this helps get and keep everything moist. Good luck. I know how stressful it is, but I have some perfect, wonderful chickens I wouldn't have today if I had chose not to help.
smile.png

I'm too new to offer any valuable advice, but it seems like general opinion is starting to be "help it out".. Good luck, I am keeping my fingers crossed for you & this baby (& the other eggs!!)...
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Are any of the other eggs pipping or hatched? What day are you on?

I'm sure you will make the best decision possible.... you have been gathering as much info/input as you can, and your heart is certainly in it!!

Back
Top Bottom