UPDATE: Beloved "Rooster" We Got Rid of Is an OEGB *PULLET* - RESCUE?!

Yanna

Songster
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Illinois
I had finally decided that our standard Barred Plymouth pullets needed to be rehomed, bit the bullet and posted on Craig's List, hoping to find a new home. The responses were not very solid, so I called the feed store, who said they would take them. I was loading up the girls to go when our favorite chicken, little Henry (A bantam OEGB or EE? We're not sure.) started CROWING.

Henry was the friendliest of our birds, always happy to sit on our arms and make conversation with us, never greedy, very polite and altogether the nicest bird of any species (I've had canaries, finches, doves, a cockatiel, etc. over the years) I have ever known.

So...poor Henry had to go into the pet carrier, too, leaving only his sweet little bantam EE girlfriend, Henrietta, behind. I took them all back to the feed store where I bought them and little Henry looked right at me after the not very nice manager put them all into a little cage together.

Henrietta didn't eat for the rest of the day, until my daughter hand fed her some red grapes; there were almost no fresh piles on the bottom of the coop when we got back 8 hours later (we had an errand in another city).

So...my daughter was speechless with tears and completely heartbroken this evening, so am I (now that the house is quiet and the day has caught up with me), so is Henrietta and so, I suspect, is our little Henry. We never got very close with the BR pullets, so I don't think they will be overly ruffled, but this is just awful.
sad.png

These are our very first chickens and I had no idea that we would become so attached.

P.S. We have 11 Bantam Araucanas coming on September 4, so Henrietta won't be alone indefinitely but I am worried that she might die of a broken heart.
sad.png
She and Henry are very much a pair.

Last edited:
Awww, I'm so sorry to hear that. Usually your little guy's first crow is supposed to be something exciting (there's nothing like hearing a little roo make his first attempt at crowing) but instead it's gotta be a sad occasion for you....did u take some pics of him??? Hope it all gets better soon!

Thanks.

I'm wishing I had taken recent pictures. We just have a couple from when we first brought Henry & Henrietta home (our very first chicks).

Mainly I feel terrible that I rushed them all to the feed store instead of finding a home for them (and Henry in particular) that I knew would be safe. Half of the bantams we'll be getting in September will have to go, as well, as they're unsexed and this time I will be sure the roos are found new homes as soon as their gender becomes evident.

How do people normally find homes for their urban chickens?

Last edited:
Yanna,
I had to make a tough desion too. Our Buff silke roo(Leo) crow just keeps getting louder and louder and now my neighbors are complaining.
So I just put a add on craigslist as well.
sad.png

The kids love him and he is such a sweetie. I am gonna miss him so much when he leaves. I LOVE the sound of a rooster crowing, it makes me feel alive.
smile.png

Just know that I understand and I am sure lots of others do as well.

Keep your chin up and just know you will have some great hens.

sad.png
I'm sorry. I totally understand. One of mine turned out to be a roo, too, and made his first little attempts at crowing on Saturday morning. It was both exciting and devastating, because we live in the suburbs and can't have one. He was one of my favorites, too - so beautiful, a dark amber-colored Buff Orp. Back to the feedstore with him.

I'm sorry to hear those news. It's hard to let go of special animal in which you had cared of ever since. I used to have a rooster called Chingy because it walked very funny and had fluffy legs so it looked like a hippie rooster. Chingy acted like a dog actually, no idea why but when my uncle took him away from me I fell apart because he used to be with me all the time and its pretty harsh to feel alone when you get used of being accompanied by someone or something.

Ninie

Delaware Drug Treatment

thats terirble! i feel sooooooooooooooooooo bad for u! i have BR for my first ones and it would kill me to seperate the two from me or each other!so horrible!

aww i am so sorry. we may be selling our rhode island red rooster soon too, but i am sure we won't miss him as much as you miss poor Henry.
hit.gif
But don't give up! things will get better!
ya.gif

oh, and the reason we won't really miss our rooster is because he's not very nice anyway.
hmm.png
He always tries to attack me and others when we get close. He was friendly when he was a baby though.
good luck!
hugs.gif

Thank you all for your kind words.

Henrietta has perked up and is eating today, although she still calls for her flock.

In hindsight, as soon as we suspected Henry was a roo we should have taken him back to the feed store. Easier for him and for us.

A lesson learned! :|

UPDATE:

Tonight, I was looking through our Meyer catalog and on the bantam OEGB page is the exact image of our Henry - A PULLET.

Then I found a thread about androgynous behavior in OEGBs in the Behaviors section.

I'm going to be at the Feed Store in the morning when they open and pray our little HEN is still there - thankfully, the store is closed on Wednesdays, which means she was available for sale for only half a day. Our odds are good and my daughter wants to call her Chicken Jane (after the cartoon segment on some PBS show or other).

Unbelievable. I'll post tomorrow when I get home.

Back
Top Bottom