1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

UPDATE!! Bottom of pecking order / loner

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OdysseyChick, Jul 4, 2016.

1. OdysseyChick

OdysseyChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2016
    Hello,
    Happy 4th of July! Well part of the mystery has been solved.. I have nine 15 week girls. Pip has always been a little smaller than her sisters consequently she is at the bottom of the pecking order. she is a blue red laced wyndotte and the sweetest one of the bunch. She is a loner, the others don't let her hang out with them[​IMG]We knew there was something off about her. Well my daughter was holding her and noticed the gray dots on her pupils. I am very mad that i didn't notice this earlier >_< she is not completely blind but her vision is definitely compromised. After researching in the forum, I have two vets that are about an hour away that I can take her to. I will be calling them tomorrow morning. My daughter and I want to get her a diaper so she can come in the house. She hangs out with the dog a lot lol but mostly she is by herself which makes me sad [​IMG]

None of our other chickens have this eye problem thankfully. Anyone one seen this condition of the eye before? Picture coming soon ( I can't figure out how to upload one from my phone ) will have to submit and try from the computer
    Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Below are all the girls, see how she is separated from the group? no one wants to sleep by her :(

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  2. BoomChickaPop

BoomChickaPop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    She looks like a very friendly chicken indeed.
    A Chick would've had to peck her eye real good. And usually there will be an infection before she goes blind. I had a chicken named Luna, one of her mean buddies pecked her in the eye and she became blind. She had an infection but we went on vacation and didn't notice( Cause it happened the day we left) And she lived like that for 2 years until a raccoon got her. RIP Luna
    The vet should know what is wrong with her

BCP

3. OdysseyChick

Mar 29, 2016
    Thanks for the reply, I " think" would have noticed if she had an infection, I have never noticed any injuries, discharge or anything like that. I just feel bad for her. I will definitely let everyone know what the vet says. I was just hoping someone will take a look and say " Oh I had a chicken with the same or similar spot in its eyes and it was .... :" Not looking for a diagnosis, for I will let a vet do that. ( she is so worth it, she is absolutey the sweetest girl. ) I just want her to have a full life :) Thanks

4. OdysseyChick

Mar 29, 2016
    I have good news! Pippy, is not contagious, no diseases, or infections, she has congenital cataracts. The vet says she does not think that the cataracts will worsen and that she can see but not very well especially at night. She was in good health and body condition, not underweight at all. I am so thankful, it was the best $68 dollars I have spent in a while! she is so sweet and spends a good part of her day hanging out with Carmel our yellow lab. :) Well I just wanted to share my good news. :)
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by