Update - Caught the Coon just killed my baby under my nose.........

Stonerowfarm

Songster
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
Cheshire, MA
Update: Finally after setting the trap all week we caught a coon. I'm not sure if it is the same one that killed Mimi Monday night but we did finally get him. Unfortunately even if he tests negative I think we still have to finish up the rabies shots, but at least it's one less predator threatening the chicks. Now I just have to keep my resolve and call animal control to dispatch him.

I went out to close up everyone for the night and was FIVE seconds too late. A coon was coming out of the banties coop and as I was screaming at it, it grabbed Mimi an 18 week old mille. I screamed and beat the fence, he dropped her but the damage was done.

As he was trying to get out of the run I was screaming at him and beating him with my hands. I know, not very smart and it didn't inflict any damage. I'm such a pacifist when it comes to any living creature and have wondered if I had what it takes to protect my girls and take out a predator. After I chased him out I ran to the house and hollered for hubby to get the gun. By now he was already gone (living in the barn we just found out today). Hubby is sitting out there right now waiting. I just saw him come out of the barn to go hunting again. I want to put the bullet in his head. I have never felt so blood-thirsty. For chriminy sake I save bees - how can I feel so murderous.

I know this is part of owning birds, but I feel so angry and guilty and sick and sad. Sorry to rant but I know so many of you have gone through the same thing. This was my first predator loss and it happened right under my nose, literally.

Luckily hubby was here to dispatch Mimi. She was so badly mangled from such a quick attack. She didn't deserve this.

RIP my pretty little girl.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry.
hugs.gif

But if you touched a coon with your hands, count your blessings you did not get hurt. Coon's are nothing to mess with, they are fierce when cornered.

hugs.gif
hit.gif
So sorry to hear about Mimi! I have had that happen before. I still don't know what happened to 2 baby guineas that were pecking around my feet!
barnie.gif
At least you saw the predator and know to be ready for it, now!
thumbsup.gif

I am so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Shelly

Parson's Wife :

I'm so sorry.
hugs.gif

But if you touched a coon with your hands, count your blessings you did not get hurt. Coon's are nothing to mess with, they are fierce when cornered.

Ditto That!

29255_1-mad_coon.jpg

I am so sorry...I know how you feel....I put my 12 three week old hens and one rooster and 6 three week old turkeys in their coop for the first night two nights ago, in the morning I went to check on them and had only 1 hen, 1 rooster and two turkeys left . A weasel got in and made off with 15 of my babies.....nothing left of them, he dragged them through a hole the size of a loonie...I have ordered 15 more babies and the fight is on, I am setting a trap near the door of the coop and I am going to go overr the coop with a fine tooth comb....so I feel for you!
sad.png

That's sad. And I understand your "murderous" feelings. That was your baby he took from you, and it's alright to feel that way. I mean I would worry about someone who went "oh well...." Hope your husband shoots straight .

Sorry to hear you lost something close to your heart. I know it hurts.

Since something you loved was taken from you, it is as if you are now aware of good and evil. You have lost a bit of innocence and it's as if you have been cast out of the Garden of Eden. You see things differently now. That hurts as well.

I'm sorry for both of your losses.

Back
Top Bottom